Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a good way to secure the passenger side floor mat? I'd like to hear different solutions.

Why Honda put an anchor on the driver floor mat but not the passenger is beyond me.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,878 Posts
passenger floor mat

I glued a felcro strip on the back of mine. (The male part) I used Mazda Van type mats. Pep boys have them for 21.95 for the pair. All I had to do was trim app. 4 sq. in. from the drivers side to make it fit. (Because of the dead petal) The floor covering in the Insight is a natural for felcro. Try it you'll like it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Velcro

Thanks for the suggestion. What are you saying about a Mazda Van type mat?

·
Registered
366 Posts
At Pep Boys this weekend, I bought two clips that clip to the mat and have two long needles that pole through the stock carpet to hold both sides in place. I have used these on other cars with some success.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gomarlins3

gomarlins3--Do you think that the carpet in the Insight is substantial enough to hold the needles on those clamps when forward pressure is put on the mat?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,878 Posts
passenger mats

Maybe I spelled it wrong. You know that stuff that is used on pockets of pants, shirts, jackets, tennis shoes, and wallets. It consists of a "male" strip that engages a fiber type material. When you pull it apart it goes RIIIIPPP. Good enough? All I know is that my floor mats do not slide, no matter how hard you push. The Mazda van is similar to the Ford van.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,878 Posts
floor mats

I stand corrected. The correct spelling is VELCRO. I've been working with FELPRO gasket material today and it was stuck in my brain. You only have to use one part of VELCRO, not both.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The carpet seemes to do o.k., but I may add the velcro just to be safe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Velcro worked...

Thanks, Willie, the Velcro suggestion worked like a charm! I have to admit I really didn't think it would. I was very surprised to see how perfectly the hook side of the Velcro mates to the Insight carpeting. Maybe even better than it does to the fuzzy side of the Velcro.

I used "Industrial Strength" Velcro. I bought a large roll of it at Sam's Wholesale Club (like Costco) for about $14.00. It has an adhesive side, so I didn't need any glue. I put a patch at the base of the mat where some sort of part number or chart is and along the side nearest the door (both are areas without those traction cleats) and may add some to the other side of the mat (nearest the center of the car) if necessary.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I also tried the Velcro idea and had to staple the Velcro to the mat. The Velcro's glue was not strong enough to stay on the back of the mat. The Velcro side was stronger then the glue. It works great now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Velcro...

Gomarlins-I have been meaning to post that I had the same problem. Once the car heated up the adhesive on the back of the Velcro gave way. I'll have to think about stapling it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used a heavy duty staple gun and then bent the sharp ends over with a pair of plyers so no one would stick their shoe/ foot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts