Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never got an answer to this before.

Is the left side mirror on right hand drive cars convex? If so do any of them come without the warning, "Objects are ..."?

Frank.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
In the USA market their convex due to DOT rules. IIRC studies showed a reduction in the number of some types of accidents.

The etched reminder in the glass is probably related to the legal atmosphere :p

What the euro (etc.) requirements are remains to be seen.

·
Registered
466 Posts
in some states it says: Objects In Mirror Are BEHIND You. :badgrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope this will move this topic to the top. I had a bit of trouble with my InsightCentral account, and then we moved at work.

I would like to put a convex mirror on the driver's side. This is why I would like to know if the pasenger's side mirror on a right hand drive car is convex, and about writing on the mirror.

Frank.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't you have a car on which you can look? If not, then why are you asking? Seems like such an odd question... :roll: :?

There may be other problems with installing the right-side mirror on the left side, since the mirrors are not symmetrical... the mounting hardware may not work with the mirror rotated 180 degrees... if you had your own car, I would say you might be able to experiment with it prior to purchasing a second right-hand mirror...

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Frank

In Australia the left hand (passenger) mirror is slightly convex (objects are closer than what they seem). I will check with Honda Australia to see if they can tell me how much convex the mirror is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obviously you (FlyMuck) completely missed my question. I live in California, USA. Here we drive on the right side of the road and we use left hand drive cars. The passenger side mirror, the one on the right side of the car is convex giving a wider view. In countries where they drive on the left side of the road they use right hand drive cars. Their passengers sit on the left, and I didn’t know until I read the reply from Ghillie that their left side mirrors ARE convex. I am assuming the mirrors on both right hand drive and left hand drive cars are the same size. So if I replace the driver’s side mirror on my car (a left hand drive car) with the passenger’s side mirror from a right hand drive car (also the left side) I will have convex mirrors in both wing mirrors.

I hope this explains my question to you.

Frank.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Frank

I'm told by the spare parts department of my local Honda dealership that the glass is available seperately. Perhaps you could order the glass only and replace the glass in your mirror housing?

No stock of mirror glass for the Insight is held in Australia. It has to come from Japan - so you could order it from there also. I'm told that the part number is 76253S3YJ01. I assume that this is the part number for a left hand convex mirror but you should check this.

The price I was given for the glass is A$56. No doubt it will be cheaper in the USA.

The whole mirror housing (with glass I assume) is also available but is much more expensive and would also have to come from Japan.

HTH :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Just Frank,

On reading your reply, I went back and looked at your post again, and still didn't get it... until I read the *entire* subject line... ooops! My bad! You're right, it was right there in front of me. I apologize.

In general you can order just the mirror, not the whole mirror assembly (I know as I had to order one for my Honda truck), as ghillie said. But getting one from overseas might be more of a pain. Maybe someone in England or Australia has a good website they can refer you to? Here in the US, I'd use Majestic Honda to order parts, but they will not carry the option you're looking for (convex left-side mirror). They only stock for the US cars.

I used to have one of those small, stick-on round convex mirrors on my driver's side mirror for the "blind spot" issue -- it was removed from the car when the car was stolen. I never put another one back on because the second mirror was a little distracting. I like your thinking here, Frank -- it might be a little disturbing at first, but it might also be some genius on your part, if it does what I think it will do.

Good luck, hope you can find the part and try it out, and let us know! :D

Apologies again for being dense,
-fly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.