Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello you beautiful and smart people.

My 2000 Insight has been running amazing over the years thanks to you guys on many things for that.

Is there any Southern California 1st Generation Insight guys that wouldn't mind meeting up and helping me diagnose some things? I need help in passing smog for California and troubleshooting some other issues and would love to pick your brain in person about how to get better at being an insight owner.

Also, if anyone has leads on a 1st Generation Bumper that would be most helpful.

Thank you for your time and all your guys help over the years.

Sincerely,
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Pretty straightforward....

1) You have a bat cat.
2) You have a bad IMA battery.
3) you reset your codes and tried to go through emissions before the car completed drive cycles to show "DTC Ready"

1) IIRC, there was a patch to make the system less sensitive and stop causing premature "failure" even when the cat was still performing acceptably. You can install an anti-fouler plug on the downstream O2 sensor that will make the code go away, but if they inspect it, you fail.
2) disconnecting/reconnecting the 12V and idle charging until it stops 3X times can help pump the battery up enough to keep a code away for a short while.
3) You have to drive enough to allow the car to cycle through all its self-tests. You didn't. Last time I took a G1 through AZ emissions, it took about 30 miles of "normal" driving, and it was still NOT ready on the evaporative system, but everything else was ready.

If you want to take it to someone reputable (KLR3CYL in this site):

Jue Motors

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Yup, Scott (and Jimmy, the shop owner, but Scott is the insight guru) at Jue Motors in West Covina is the place to go. I'm fairly well versed in insights, having worked for Scott for a year.

I have a rear bumper+ lower balance and all the hardware from my old insight I would happily let go. It's even silver. I'll shoot you a PM and see if you are interested.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents of crowd sourcing knowledge.

You can get this O2 sensor extender, currently available from Amazon Warehouse for $5.67+tax! I might even stock up on it if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Get yourself a cheap ODBII Bluetooth reader and use Torque so you can monitor DTC readiness yourself. I got this one, which seems to work well enough.

Finally, my friend learned recently from his research you can actually skip the dreaded evap DTC for vehicles newer than 2000! Who woulda thunk it. Most of the other codes seem to clear within one drive or two. In my experience evap clears after parking vehicle for many hours, preferably overnight, and then driving it on the freeway a few miles. But if it's not needed anyways, problem not need to be solved!

·
Linsight Designer
1,997 Posts
IMA battery needs "grid charging" (search this forum), or bypassing altogether (search youtube for "honda insight ima bypass".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, i'm over the hill from you, Oxnard. Might be able to get together and am dealing with some issues; no IMA. Will try to pm you if i get time.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
+1 on endorsement for Scott. Great mechanic, super nice guy, and passionate Insight fan. A class act.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am due for reg. renewal and also smog test this year, April. I'm wondering if anyone with CEL due to bad IMA battery (in CA), has requested the waiver due to cost of replacement IMA battery. Also i"ve located two hybrid specializing service shops here in Ventura Cnty. They seem to be extremely busy.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,125 Posts
Can't recommend anyone "local", maybe try Scott at Jue Motors in Covina. Worth the call or 90 mile drive, I guarantee.

A lot of the Insighters drive over 150 mile for his services.

Haven't heard of anyone using that process. I know how it goes. Maybe you can be a test bed?

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1 Posts
ca smog test

Thanks to Scott klr3cyl and jue motors, I passed the ca smog test by clearing the 0420 dtc code to readiness running a snubber on the trailing O2 sensor and removing before the test. Still looking for a reasonably priced cat. Dealer qoutes $1200 and no CARB approved cats available. I have gone about 80 miles without the snubber and haven't had the 0420 code pop back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts