Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly often, when I accelerate in first gear (2001 5sp), I feel a very definite pause in the acceleration and a subsequent mild lurch forwards after it. It feels a lot like I would expect from a normal automatic transmission switching to second gear.

If I "floor it," it doesn't seem to have this problem. Anyone else notice this at all, or is my car just odd?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my 2000 one since, well, 2000 something (9/18/200). I lived in New Jersey and moved to California. I've driven it over many types of terrain, in numerous driving conditions. My driving habits have ranged all over the board from punching it to the floor to feathering it so that electric assist does not kick in during acceleration.

That little surge you feel is likely the point where the electric motor kicks a bit of assist in when you are gently accelerating on level ground. Other times you can feel just a slight surge is when the motor was battery charging (which may have not been indicated if it was only for charging the 12V battery) and it kicks off. The sudden slight drop in load on the engine translates as a feeling of surge.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I noticed MIZR has a "surge" at times and if you will notice engine RPM's when it does it you will probably notice it is around 3000 RPM. The slight surge is from the VTEC activating the auxilary valves giving the engine a slight increase in power. Another "surge" I noticed is while in a steady cruise mode I will feel a slight and notice on tach a slight difference in RPM's which is a sign of the fuel control system gong into a lean burn mode to clear the oxegen sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm.. it's not actually the surge itself that confuses me, but the definite hesitation before it happens - as if the engine had turned itself off for about a quarter of a second and then immediately restarted.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I barely ever notice surges any more since they are so subtle. I think the car being so light, it's more responsive than other cars to small shifts in torque. From my standpoint as a systems engineer in power conversion it amazes me how smootly the car transitions between it's various modes. An awful lot is going on under the hood and behind the seats that is transparent to us. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts