Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum and just recently purchased a 2013 Insight. I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on. I was looking for some do-dads to accessorize my car and came across what is called a Performance & Economy Programmer Chip that plugs into the OBD Input Port. They claim it can get you up to 12% better gas mileage as well as a boost in performance. Are these worth the money or is it a gimmick? If it's not a gimmick, where do I find the OBD Input Port on my 2013 Insight?

Thanks for your help.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Cheech:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" gem. Lots of good folk and info here on "IC".

The "search" function, as well as the IC "knowledge base" and "encyclopedia" will provide answers to most questions an Insight owner will have. The "stickies" in each forum area are also well stocked with info, with many containing links.

There are Insight owners in your area. Keep an eye on the "hybrid socials and events" forum for advertisements of meet-ups that may be near your area. These are great opportunities to meet with other Insight owners to share ideas and experience. G2 owners are always welcome at any G1 event.

I'm a G1 owner and no help with your G2 question, but a G2 owner will certainly chime in with some info.

Good luck and happy Insighting,

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sounds like snake oil to me. If there was any addition MPG to be squeezed out, Honda would have done so. As a new owner I would suggest keeping the tires full and learning to look down the road and adjust your acceleration to the conditions you see. You will get more out of that than anything.

How many miles on your 2013? Some of the 2012 & 2013 insights burn oil because of experimental piston rings Honda used. There is a warranty extension on effected vehicles. So keep an eye on the oil level. (something Honda owners don’t usually need to do)

Change the CVT fluid every other oil change.

This thing an’t no rocket, fuel economy was the point. Handles really well with decent tires though. Performance? Um, no. But in any case, the OBD port is below the steering wheel as it is in all cars made after about 1995. If you do plug something in there, don’t forget to take it out when you have a smog check. Do they do smog checks in Kentucky?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not according to it's designer who said the fluid should be changed every 18,000 miles. Even the MID will call for a change every third or forth. It shows up when the MID calls for engine air and cabin filters. Or a traditional 30k service.

By the way, every savvy Honda owner and all Honda mechanics change the transmission fluid on this schedule. On all their automatics. In the regular ones a normal change will do about 1/3 of the fluid. In our CVTs a drain and fill gets almost all the fluid. Even the manuals have a fluid change schedule.

If I can find the relevant articles I will post them. One was an interview with the guy who was the chief designer on the CVT. As the fluid breaks down, it's ability to dissipate heat is diminished. That causes premature wear on the belt that does all the work in the CVT.
The other is quite old and explains the history of Honda automatics. They are completely different from normal ones. Way back when Honda first started importing cars to North America, they found that they would need and automatic. Borg Warner declined to work on a design for such a small car. They did not think they would ever be high volume. So Honda said fine, we will do it ourselves.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Here is a link to the article with the interview with the designer:

2nd Gen Honda Insight: A chat with the Chief Engineer

From this thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/22346-cvt-fluid.html

The article actually says every 20,000 km or 12,427.4 miles.

Here is a history lesson about why Honda ended up with their own automatic transmission designers in house:

Honda Worldwide | History | The Hondamatic Transmission / 1968

So, with almost 160k. you should have had 5 changes just using the Honda recommended interval.

I do hope you have had the software updates, they make quite a difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, apparently there's a lot more to know about this car than I imagined. As far as the performance chip goes, I'm going to pass on buying one of those. I'm glad I found this forum because I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions. Thank you all for your replies. Oh, and as far as smog testing goes here in KY, no they don't test for that. Or anything else for that matter. There is no vehicle inspection whatsoever. My wife and I moved here 12 years ago and have owned multiple vehicles and have never had one of them inspected. If it runs, it's road worthy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts