Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the I2 I have but have experience with other cars and performance modification, so I was starting this thread to see if anyone had any tips, tricks, or experience to share about their performance mod attempts?

I plan on advancing timing about 12 degrees, building a cold air intake tomorrow, eventually changing the cat and going with a 2 inch, maybe 2 and a quarter inch exhaust from as far forward as possible on the exhaust. Interior wise I am thinking I won't change the seats to bucket seats since they seem to have pretty good bolsters already, but will definitely be making myself a Harness bar to run almost along the roof so I can put in a 4 or 5 point harness. I need to snoop around under the hood a bit more, but are the injectors direct or port injection? or something different?? I have been reading as many threads as I can about performance and I have heard of 3 injectors and adding a 4th when going for boost, but as far as I can tell that is just for G1's??

Anyway, I would like to see and hear experiences with performance upgrades not only pertaining to the motor but to the suspension, tires, rims, seats, and bracing upgrades. It seems like there isn't much aftermarket support for mods of the performance orientation, but I will post up everything I craft for it, but be warned, it may seem very unprofessional and ugly, but its all for the function, not the form! :evil:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to add that I was going to try and look into a hondata for a fit 1.3 and see if that can work for our cars at some point.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've wondered if either the 1.5l CR-Z engine or the various supercharger or turbocharger kits for the CRZ might work. I believe that there was a 1.5l version of the I2 released in Japan and I've seen pictures of Japanese I2s with a supercharger under the bonnet (hood). Unlikely to do much in the way of performance modding myself though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
2 1/4 " exhaust, 4th injector, advancing the timing (how?)....

This is a joke, right?

It is a 1 liter, low redline engine.
Very little performance potential.
You bought the wrong car, unless,,, Have you seen the K engine swaps?

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I believe he is talking about modifying the G2.

Willie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 1/4 " exhaust, 4th injector, advancing the timing (how?)....

This is a joke, right?

It is a 1 liter, low redline engine.
Very little performance potential.
You bought the wrong car, unless,,, Have you seen the K engine swaps?
It is a g2, I may not have made that clear. I'm not looking for huge gains, just to have a bit more fun when I have noisy civics driving next to me. I was thinking of perhaps doing a 5 psi turbo, wanted to look into it a bit more on the g2 motor first, but if not I wanted to fit an openflash electronic supercharger. It uses a turbo compressor housing and an electric motor that spins to about 70k rpms to produce 5 psi for a few seconds, thought that might be a bit of fun and surprising to people in my area.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oh, G2, right, sorry.

In that case, aren't you worried about that goofy 'Belt-type' CVT handling the extra power?

From what I have read it is already the weak link in that car.

And don't even talk to me about the goofy paddle shifters that add a fake SW generated 'bump' to simulate gears shifting in a transaxle that does not have gears to shift.
If anything that added 'bump' only adds wear and tear to the transaxle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am worried a bit, but the goal for the unassisted power is only 115hp, and I don't think it will cause transmission failure unless I am "neutral dropping" the transmission, and I don't even know if you can in these cars.

Mine actually doesn't have the paddle shifters :D

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

Anything is possible. We share a lot with the 09 Honda Fit.

The engine has a 10.8 to 1 cr, so higher octane gives better performance as is. Keep in mines its a 88 hp 88 tq not counting what the ima system could add under idea conditions.

Ive been told honda knows timing and messing with it would just ruin what performance we have. The peak is at 4200 rpms. I wouldnt mind dropping that myself either.

I think force induction is the best way and maybe a chemical intercooler. Ive tried to buy the super charger kit, its not available. :confused:

Its port, not direct.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was looking for pricing of the supercharger, it looks like you have to call and order it, but I haven't so we shall see. Any Idea on injector size or other ones that we could fit inside? I am guessing its around 200cc if not a little smaller, but I would like to be able to put 350cc in and get it all tuned to 93, but that will have to be figured out later. I got some cheap stuff today to build a rudimentary ram air kit and was wondering if there are any hidden screws holding the intake down or if the vacuum line hooked up is just a blow by/ pcv valve? I didn't see any other lines, but I am going to check more in the morning.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The supercharger kit was listed at 5 grand.

You could do a turbo or belt driven super charger for way less.

Dont know injector size, but the Fit used a similar 1.3 engine.

NOS makes a 25 shot kit for the Civic 1.3 hybrid. Something I considered.

The engine almost always runs negative timing, so a water/methanol injection system may do wonders on pump gas.

Opening exhaust and intake helps. My idea was to take the head to a machine shop and have them do all the tricks of the trade and regrind the cam.

The tube is a crank case vent. The air box is held down to the top of the tranny with a few 10 mm bolts.

Im using a crz kn typhon intake. Its just a tube with cone filter on the end. :)This engine likes cold air. Blocking off the egr helps performance too, hurts mpg by about 10 and generates a cel that prevents auto stop from working.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you by any chance have pictures of where the bolts are? I am just running a short ram until I can figure out how to route it in front of the radiator, tons of space for it, just have to get there ;)

I found a race header for a 1.3 fit by weapon R but it all comes down to whether I want to end up with a turbo or N/A. I love boost but I may just build it N/A and then try to run a 25 shot on it.

Is the exhaust header cast in or is that just for the G1? I may just end up cutting the stock flange and custom up a header so I don't have to spend $500 on the weapon R. Any Ideas if anyone has made a different intake? I was thinking of trying to make a custom intake out of aluminum and recycling some other intake manifold for injectors housings and drilling out the intake flanges to the block my self.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
A few guys have used a crz cai intake.

The best path to cold air is under the drivers head light under the bumper cover.

I think its 3 long bolts, 2 near the back and one near where the starter is. I do not have any photos. Its not hard to remove. Sucking in warm air through a short ram is only good for trips under 10 miles for mpg. Any further and your mpg take a dip, timing is retarded and performance decreases.

The exhaust manifold is made into the head. The outlet is an oval shape at the rear. Ive seen a catless header for the civic si on ebay for 300 bucks. I considered it and remove the 2 cats for now for fun. Just an idea.

SKUNK2 412 05 1950 Alpha Series Header for Honda Civic SI Coupe Sedan | eBay

Here is the gasket to give you an idea of the exit port on the head. :evil:

New FEL Pro Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set Header MS97172 | eBay

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Cobb:
Where did you find a FIT has a 1.3 engine?
The "British" model has that size?, but my 2007 FIT has a 1.5 engine.

Willie

·
Registered
831 Posts
For more info, might want to look at CR-Z Forum. There's Turbo stuff going on in there. Never figured out why a small turbo wasn't part of the IMA package to begin with, to help with some extra power when needed.

Isn't Honda doing a turbo for CR-Z?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Willie, I wished you lived closer. Maybe I could drop my car with you for a few weeks and a a few thousand dollars and you could add a turbo? :D

I do not believe the US ever had a 1.3 engine, but it was made with a 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, etc in other countries. Honda Fit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Ive seen a lot online and many parts Ive purchased for my insight and sidekick have come from Maylisa, Tiawan, etc.

Back in the day when the shop I worked at added a Ford 5000 series tractor turbo to a big v8 we upped the jets and checked the plugs to tell AFR. I wonder if pulling the plug on the o2 and afr sensor by switching exhaust and down pipes from the stock 2 cats it will default to a richer afr for turboing? I cant use an electric welder as my home doesnt have any extra capacity in the braker box. I d need to buy an oxy acetylene welder or a generator to run it for any fab work unless I can find a bolt on kit. :confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Now, if you could fit a 5 or 6 spd manual transaxle with an upgraded clutch you may be onto something! You'd have a fast Insight 2!

You surely can't expect that software controlled, belt-type CVT to handle the extra power.

Those supercharger kits for CR-Z's only get installed in the 6 spd manuals, correct?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Oh, boy, my sides are sore from reading your post nortoncomando. :evil:

Yeah, right, 5 psi of boost wont do anything to the cvt. Keep in mind our engine is rated at 88 hp and tq at 4700 and 5 grand. Assuming you can get the ima system to kick in at those rpms you will have a little over 100 hp or tq. Its my experience the ima system checks out at those points.

Yes, you can get the charger on either crz. Either they reduce the output slightly or due to inefficiencies the net gain is reduced. :-?

I found some photos and youtube videos of the chargers I posted. I think those are very doable for our gen 2. It looks as if the tb is in its original position as the charger fits over top the engine like the original plastic intake manifold does.

It will have to wait a few months as Ive taken the plunge and got some clazzio seat covers and am installing seat heaters. Maybe in a few months I can get one of these? I also got a few projects for the home this year. 3 grand could get me a nice 2 car lean two or 1 car garage. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well if Honda signs off on the supercharger on the CR-Z CVT, then all should be well.
Is that the same CVT in the CR-Z as the I2?

And are you saying this $3200 supercharger will give you a a whopping 12 HP increase?
Will you feel that?
The CVT may feel it but it should be fine with that small increase.

Although, HP and TQ are not similar. With a supercharger you could possibly double your low RPM torque. Let's hope those clutches and the metal V-belt can handle that increase....

We are looking forward to hearing about your hot rod I2 !

1 - 20 of 86 Posts