Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up a red 2001 Insight for $0. All I had to do was drive to Nashville to pick it up.
Car had P0118 & P0128 codes that did not come back after clearing and driving 160 miles. These are both coolant temperature warnings.
Previous owner thought the IMA battery was dead... replaced by Honda in 2017. It seems to be working just fine... certainly better than the one in my daily driver. It's grid charging as we speak. I think it'll make a fullish recovery.

Headlights need buffing, but the paint is in great shape.

It's crazy to me that this car was free. The previous owner was very nice and just wanted to know that the new owner would take care of it. So then it's official: I'm driving a free car now.

Since I was in Nashville, I decided to duck into the Lane and say hello to Sawbite. They have it on a corner in the "fuel sippers" grouping:

It's parked next to a Fisker Karma, a VW XL-1, & a terribly uncomfortable looking experimental luge that claims to get 1100 mpg... I believe it.

·
Linsight Designer
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMA battery is very strong... I was able to drive up Lookout Mountain twice, whereas my daily driver can't even make it half way up once. MT grinds going into 1st (but not 2nd or 3rd). Thermostat is mostly broken (hence the CEL P codes); glad it was cool yesterday when I drove it home. It even has an OEM driver's mat in good condition. Passenger side rear quarter panel has a dent in it. PDR would probably pull it out, but I'm not gonna do that.

Car has a decent aftermarket Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth, iPhone connector, microphone. All pretty standard stuff in a new car, but I'm certainly not used to all that fancy in a G1 Insight.

I ordered a new antenna, new thermostat, and a few other common wear items.

So now I'm back up to three Insights: Squib (red 2001 MT), Eugene (red 2000 MT), and Zip (red 2001 MT).

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
My newest G1 had a similar head unit as you describe, I was determined to replace it with OEM but after driving around a few weeks the BT phone option for calls along with phone music integration swayed me to keep it in there. I use it daily now, glad I did.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My newest G1 had a similar head unit as you describe, I was determined to replace it with OEM but after driving around a few weeks the BT phone option for calls along with phone music integration swayed me to keep it in there. I use it daily now, glad I did.
The sound quality is typically better, and the OEM unit is not at all lightweight either.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm prepared to pay you ten times what you paid for your Insight right now. Shoot me a conversation and we can work out the details. :)

Honestly, I'm always amazed by these deals. I got an Insight for 500 bucks and thought I made the biggest score. Congrats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good score Mudder!

I'm a big fan of gift economies, especially among communities, in this case a community of enthusiasts. I hope this will inspire you to be (yet more) generous with others here, up to and including gifting one of your lesser beasts forward to a new community member (to be)?

I got out of the Insight business myself by (trying to ) gifting my 01 to another member who was bringing his son into the fold with a second Insight. He ended up insisting on paying a non-trivial but discounted price instead which I used to upgrade my new-tire purchase on my Volt to Bridgestone Run Flats. Last I heard Old Blue was in good use in El Paso!

I received full value from my 01 Insight in the 10+ years I owned it and like your source, was just happy to have someone else keep it in good service (and fix up the long-standing issues like a cracked windshield, etc.).

I'm not ready to give up my 2011 Volt but as I am eyeing other EVs and ER/PHEVs, I'm keeping my eyes open for the right person to pay it forward to.

I still enjoy following this forum, it is a much more engaged and friendly group (even) than the GM-Volt one I follow for my current daily driver.

I just rigged my 11 salvaged NiMH sticks (the other 9 went to the new owner for pack balancing) into two boxes with boost/buck converters, volt/ammeters, barrel connectors, cigarette lighter sockets, USB jacks, etc. and charged from a small solar array. 5 sticks are setup as a 36V source for my DIY 500W hub motor mountain bike. The other 6 are configured as an 18S3P nominal 16V to drive myriad 12V devices with or without integrated buck and/or pwm converters for driving everything from pumps and fans and grow lights in my sunroom to being a portable jump pack for 12V automobile boosting (16V has never been too much for a 12V auto system)

Both bundles look a little too much like dynamite, I keep expecting to be swarmed by a bomb squad while riding my bike in public. 6.5 (nominal Amp Hours) isn't much really (they are degraded), but the best LiOn Deal I know of is about $150 for a similar pack. Ole Blue just keeps on giving!

Carry On,
- Steve

Reactions: MparkH

·
Registered
2012 Base
2 Posts
Today I picked up a red 2001 Insight for $0. All I had to do was drive to Nashville to pick it up.
Car had P0118 & P0128 codes that did not come back after clearing and driving 160 miles. These are both coolant temperature warnings.
Previous owner thought the IMA battery was dead... replaced by Honda in 2017. It seems to be working just fine... certainly better than the one in my daily driver. It's grid charging as we speak. I think it'll make a fullish recovery.

View attachment 90281
Headlights need buffing, but the paint is in great shape.

It's crazy to me that this car was free. The previous owner was very nice and just wanted to know that the new owner would take care of it. So then it's official: I'm driving a free car now.

Since I was in Nashville, I decided to duck into the Lane and say hello to Sawbite. They have it on a corner in the "fuel sippers" grouping:
View attachment 90282

It's parked next to a Fisker Karma, a VW XL-1, & a terribly uncomfortable looking experimental luge that claims to get 1100 mpg... I believe it.

·
Registered
2012 Base
2 Posts
Nice! I'm a first-time owner of an Insight myself (a 2012 with 87k), and new to the group here. I wish I knew about this deal...I live in Columbia, TN! 😝
Gotta say my biggest concern is battery life since I've never owned a hybrid, but my 45 min commute (one-way) is a lot cheaper.

·
Linsight Designer
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both bundles look a little too much like dynamite, I keep expecting to be swarmed by a bomb squad while riding my bike in public.
The first day I drove my homemade electric bike to work was 2010FEB18, the same day Joe Stack decided to fly his airplane into an IRS building in Austin. My commute at the time biked right by it, about twenty minutes after the fact. I didn't quite have the A123 batteries fully installed yet, and the police weren't too happy upon seeing them. It only took a few minutes to clear things up, but it was a tense first encounter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts