Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new 2006 Insight tomorrow. The trick is, it's 160 miles away and I'll have to drive it back.

Any tips on what to avoid doing to the poor thing so I don't kill it? Its a manual (that's not new to me, been driving manual for years) and freshly off the boat.

PS: Its vin is 314 and today is 3/14.. was supposed to arrive 3/17, I guess it was destined to get in 3/14 anyway :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Depending on the condition of the IMA battery and what kind of driving has been done durring dealer preparation, the car may seem sluggish when starting off in first gear. (Reminded me of a 60's two stroke motorcycle.) The battery got some charge in it after a few miles and then it pulled like a Diesel. 8)

If you have had a little experience, you should find the transmission very pleasant. The tall gearing makes for a less busy driving experience, and the hydraulic clutch is sweet.

Don't get Mesmerized watching the gauges! Wait untill your sub conscious has learned to drive the car. We don't want Insight insurance rates to go up!

Enjoy. :D

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Kasia; Congratulations! What dealer are you buying it from? What color is it? Be very careful that everything is as promised, ie, price and terms. Most experts say to NEVER buy an extended warranty the same day you buy the car. That is good advice.

10 months ago I bought my 3rd new Insight, so I know how the system works. Also, back in the 1980's I sold Hondas at a dealer. Soon after you leave the dealer's lot, you might want to stop by a tire center and inflate each tire to 44 lbs for your trip home. Just that alone will much improve your mpg, by about 5 or so. Have fun.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Kasia's inquiry and your comments are quite timely for me...

Unless something goes wrong I'll be picking up my 2006 about noon this coming Monday and I'll be driving it back, about a 100 mile trip to bring it home.

Fred

Hi Kasia; Congratulations! What dealer are you buying it from? What color is it? Be very careful that everything is as promised, ie, price and terms. Most experts say to NEVER buy an extended warranty the same day you buy the car. That is good advice.

10 months ago I bought my 3rd new Insight, so I know how the system works. Also, back in the 1980's I sold Hondas at a dealer. Soon after you leave the dealer's lot, you might want to stop by a tire center and inflate each tire to 44 lbs for your trip home. Just that alone will much improve your mpg, by about 5 or so. Have fun.....

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Congrats, Fred! That sounds exciting! Yeah, you need to be "on your game" when you arrive at the dealer. Remember, they have several ways to get a little more $ out of you. For example, if they are involved in financing you, they can take you for hundreds just by adding a few tenths of a percentage point to the interest rate. Watch out for high document fees, advertising charges, or add-ons to the car such as floor mats or paint sealants or undercoatings.

Is a front license plate required in your state? Either way, do not let them drill holes in your front bumper. In my state (WA) the plate is required; but there IS a type of honda bracket that does not need any holes to be drilled. If at all possible, I always tell Insighters to not use a front plate at all. It just collects bugs in summer, does poorly for aero flow, and looks ugly. Good luck to you! billy.......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Such fun car!

Drove home beautifully and gave me 61mpg average for the trip home (170 miles).

The dealer was very good, no hidden costs, did not try to get me to buy anything beyond offering the extended warranty (and not at all pushy about it). I paid exactly what was agreed on ($200 below msrp). I did not finance through the dealer though.

The only problem was apparently keyfobs for keyless entry are MIA but since I ordered a security system anyway it won't matter anymore once that's installed.

I'm very happy with the car so far!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the tips ... they're appreciated.

There was a $45 document fee <a "junk fee"> which was dismissed right up front in our discussions. Those of you who haven't visited the Edmunds WWW site, you really ought to do it --- BEFORE --- going to a dealer.

There is a license plate mounting on the front already. That holes were drilled to mount it, at this point I don't know. In Pennsylvania only a rear tag is required. As for that front tag holder, if there are holes there, after it's removed suitable sized bolts will be put in the vacant holes to keep road dirt out; an old trick I learned in the military.

Again, thanks for the tips! :)

Congrats, Fred! That sounds exciting! Yeah, you need to be "on your game" when you arrive at the dealer. Remember, they have several ways to get a little more $ out of you. For example, if they are involved in financing you, they can take you for hundreds just by adding a few tenths of a percentage point to the interest rate. Watch out for high document fees, advertising charges, or add-ons to the car such as floor mats or paint sealants or undercoatings.

Is a front license plate required in your state? Either way, do not let them drill holes in your front bumper. In my state (WA) the plate is required; but there IS a type of honda bracket that does not need any holes to be drilled. If at all possible, I always tell Insighters to not use a front plate at all. It just collects bugs in summer, does poorly for aero flow, and looks ugly. Good luck to you! billy.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts