Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil and CVT fluid the past weekend and noticed that some unbody plastic panels are missing,,,Not sure which ones but I'm sure at least one is missing.

Wondering if I can make some of these or is it even worth putting them back on (aerodynamics and such).

So if anyone has any pics of the under there, then that would be nice!

·
Registered
133 Posts
fyi, I just had to tear mine off.... they came loose enough for ice to catch, then they hit the ground and did a fold-back. I swung by an "oil change" place just to have someone able to cut them the rest of the way.

There are two of them with all sorts of ridges and nooks and crannies. I don't think a simple flat piece of plastic sheeting would work.

I'm debating whether to get replacements. There was very little mileage change (if any) with them missing, but they do make a big difference in road noise and in keeping dirt away.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I took the front 3 panels off and used them as a template to make a single piece fiberglass replacement that is actually larger than the area of the originals. I hope in the new year to have a single plate stainless steel one laser cut. It will help me protect my engine on country roads. :D

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I was just thinking "I wonder if anyone ever thought about replacing all the panels in the front with something stronger"

That said - I'd be interested too Kip - I bet there are a few others as well.

Perhaps the cost would go down if more than one were created..

Regards
Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
2007 was extremely busy for me. My current project necessitated adding a lathe, milling machine MIG welder and bandsaw to the shop. When this project is done there are some serious Insight projects I have in mind. The SS cover will be top of the list. I want flush access ports for oil changes, radiator flushing, and transmission oil changing to be designed in.

Yes Wayne, quantity orders do get a better rate on laser cutting. It also makes the computer design effort more worthwhile, so I'd consider making them available to other Insighters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Put me on the notification list for the underside fairing as well. I love my insight, but I think the way the underside is covered is not particularly well thought out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Why make it out of steel? Aluminum would be easier and a lot lighter--and fit in with the rest of the car better...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dougie said:
Why make it out of steel? Aluminum would be easier and a lot lighter--and fit in with the rest of the car better...
I'd also be concerned about making it _too_ strong. Reason is that if something "grabs" the lower side of the car, we're probably better off having the splashguard tear itself apart. If it's too strong, or fastened too intensely, that could lead to a lot more extensive and expensive (and these days, no longer repairable) damage to the car frame and body.

It's the same concept behind having the brake pads on shoes be on the side that's easier to get to and replace, or the rubber washers in faucets, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I made one out of fiberglass sheeting with aluminum ribs for reinforcement. It has held up well for roughly two years.

I happen to like aluminum and it would be a good choice for the cover, so why choose Stainless?

1. Aluminum is relatively soft. It has to be handled with care and anodised to look decent

2. Stainless steel cuts more cleanly on the laser requiring less manual labor.

3. Aluminum is more likely to suffer metal fatigue around fasteners.

4. Lockwashers leave ugly damage to aluminum when removed.

I'll probably try one of each.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Under car panels

Whatever material y'all decide on, put me on the "I'm interested", group buy list. Haven't had any problems yet, but figure it's just a matter of time.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
George:

The cover should make a difference to mileage, particularly in cold weather, but a difference of 1 or 2 MPG wouldn’t be noticeable without a standardized test.

Dberns:

You are correct in noting that a simple sheet doesn’t work. I had to make two wedge shaped pieces for the sides and had to modify the rear bracket, in addition to putting a very subtle curve on the sheet.

Dougie:

Weight is a factor, so if I use stainless I’ll make it thinner.

Rmnelson:

When I got under my Insight it looked like I could improve on the design and airflow under the body. That is why I made the original extended cover.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll start a dedicated thread when I get down to the actual layout work to get more input/feedback. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
would anyone know the part numbers for these shields? I may be doing something wrong.. but I can't find the listings i the Majestic Honda views.

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts