Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. The molding that goes from the hood to the back of the driver's side door has been loose. I thought I had secured it, I was wrong. On the way home from work yesterday, I was doing about 50 MPH and there was also a very stong wind. I heard a rattling. It was the moulding and I was worried it might come off. A few seconds later it did. Fortunately if fell where it couldn't be run over so it was just scratched up. I went to the local Honda dealer and they said it needs all nine clamps, about $16 each, and they need rivited on and I will have to take it to a body shop. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I have had deer damage twice to that side, and also had the windshield replaced. I don't know if any of that contributed to it coming loose. On the plus side, maybe it help with the aerodynamics because I got 70 MPG going to work today on a very cold morning :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Piece of moulding fell off

bfivelover said:
...On the plus side, maybe it help with the aerodynamics because I got 70 MPG going to work today on a very cold morning :D
Sounds like my husband and his Insight Golfball...nearly a year and the hail damage on little silver remains unrepaired. :)

Not sure if this corresponds to the moulding you describe, but part of the work order from last year's hail damage repair on Papaya has:

Remove & Replace R Front Door Rear Garnish $18.87. Labor given at .20

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Fortunately if fell where it couldn't be run over so it was just scratched up. I went to the local Honda dealer and they said it needs all nine clamps, about $16 each, and they need rivited on and I will have to take it to a body shop.
You could order a new part (item 10 front pillar garnish) already painted for $192.00 as shown here:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Insight&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+DX&catcgry4=KACVT&catcgry5=MOLDING
The clips can be ordered separately but this looks like a whole kit that includes the clips you need and other stuff.

IMO, the overal job will be less expensive with better paint quality.

JoeCVT - Just you average CVT owner

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link and suggestion joecvt, however, it looks like I might not have to pay anything. I had the windshield replaced in August, and the body shop I took it to this week says the clips were probably damaged when the windshield was replaced. They said it happens all the time. I am having the windshield people check it out Monday. The estimate at the body shop was $355 to replace the molding and clips.

·
Administrator
12,250 Posts
Windscreen Replacement and that trim

I had to have my windscreen replaced some time ago. I watched/supervised the whole process and had the benefit of owning the proper workshop manuals. It took the firm doing the work ages to get the proper parts and they had to attend three times in the end.

Under that trim you refer to are several plastic clips with rubber seals, and several metal clips riveted to the body of the car. The plastic clips are single use only and break when being prised off (I saw this myself, it's not for the faint hearted) The metal clips can be reused if you bend them slightly back into shape before replacing the trim. I had some new ones to compare them too, so I knew what the shape should be. The bodyshop doing your work I suspect did not have the new plastic clips from Honda, and they may have tried to reuse the old ones or use some generic ones. Doomed to failure sadly, also if they did not replace the little black rubber seals on the plastic clips the car will likely leak water when it's raining etc into the pillar and down into the footwell!

You def need the OEM trim clip parts/seals when doing the job properly.

Peter

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have to pay anything. Safelite has agreed to repair the molding under warranty. Nice to know some companies take responsibility if they screw up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not sure if this problem is common to all insight.
That's happened to mine as well couple years ago. The passenger/left side (Mine is right hand steering - Aus version) airborned when driving 95km/h. so I have to pay AUD $14 for new set of pastic clips plus the new moulding part (around AUD $500) as i could not save it as it was run over by truck behind me :(
That wasn't my lucky day, dealer did not want to pay for that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know this thread is a little on the old side, but the Insight I hope to be buying this weekend is missing this same trim piece. It's a silver 2000, and as someone mentioned in another thread there is someone parting out 2 Insights on eBay, one of which is a silver 2002. So what I'm wondering is if the part from the '02 will fit a '00?

New clips 2001: Certain clips (not visible) that fasten a few pieces have been added/altered/removed. The roof molding clips have been lengthened, and half of them eliminated, to make windshield replacement easier. Also, a quarter glass fastener was added, and two clips have been added that fasten the rear portion of the headliner.
Is this piece the "roof molding" or otherwise one of the few pieces that now has different clips?

Thanks.

*edit
Actually it looks like it won't even be the same silver, :( nevermind then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts