Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Won't work. No units with a screen that comes out and folds up will work, and I'm yet to find anyone that makes one where the screen comes out and down.. The screen will hit the AC controls. The only way to do it properly would be to get the US left side drive dash trim piece that goes under the radio, then get a Japanese Right side double din one and have them laser cut and molded together so you'd have a double din opening. Then you could get the similar unit which doesn't fold in to the single din unit, you'd just have the screen there filling the entire double din opening. This would be expensive to do though.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
If you could find one with a screen that comes down instead of up it would work. You'd have less access to your cup holders, but it would work. I've found one off brand in dash DVD player once, I think the brand was DHL(?), where the screen came out sort of centrally so it was roughly 2 inches above and 2 inches below the unit itself. But if I were to go to that extreme I'd find a good name brand to put in to my dash.

I once spoke to some Panasonic representatives that had a truck setup outside my local Fry's electronics and asked if they had anything that opened up down and he said no. He also claimed he'd bring it up at the next meeting, but whether or not that happens I don't know. I don't think there are many other vehicles out there that would benefit from a downward opening screen unit.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
As Rick says, you will have difficulty with screens opening out. I went for the Alpine INA-N333 which has pretty good graphics within a single DIN head unit (plus a firm but polite woman giving you orders! :wink: ). Alpine must make one for the USA; European version here :

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/en ... RS-RRS.htm

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I just don't understand why Honda doesn't give the U.S. Insight version the NAV option to begin with. Here in a day and age when more and more U.S. cars have NAV systems from the factory.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Toyota is selling a large number of fully loaded Prius vehicles (Bluetooth, Navigation, Leather, HID's etc. With demand for fuel efficient cars increasing I think Honda should come out with more than just A/C as a option on the Insight. Toyota has obviously found that there are plenty of customers willing to buy a Hybrid as long as they don't have to give up to much. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've also been wanting a NAV system in my 05 Insight and looked at the AVIC-N2. My local guy says that he can install it in my car (he said it would be an all day job and that he would build out the radio area so that the screen would be able to open without hitting the AC unit.) He did tell me that I wouldn't be able to get to the AC controls with the screen open, but I don't use the AC much anyway and the AVIC-N2 will still give voice commands for navigation with the display screen closed.

I'm still doing the research to decide on which NAV system I want to go with, since I'm also considering a Kenwood system where the nav module is separate from the motorized screen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I would love to know what your final solution is. If it works, then I might just try it myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've now had two separate Audio places tell me they can install either the Kenwood system or the AVIC-N2, both places saying that it would be a "custom" install that would take some time and cost a bit more (installation around $200, assuming that I purchase the system from them.)

I'm still torn between the Kenwood and the Pioneer, the main issues being that the Pioneer is cheaper, has about 2.5 million more POI programed in, and it seems easier to use BUT the drawback for me would be removing the NAV disc if I want to play a CD...the Kenwood system has a separate module for the NAV that mounts under the seat so that the disc is always in and I wouldn't have to worry about losing it or getting the disc scratched.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS!!

If anyone out there has used either NAV system, please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If I was in the market for a NAV system for my car, I would get a portable GPS NAV so I could take it with me when I rent a car or go travelling.
They do everything a fancy in-dash unit can do plus more.
It's much easier to find a place for the mounting bracket.

http://www.garmin.com/mobile/

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I've finally decided on the AVIC-N2 by Pioneer and will have the guy order it for me today. Will take pictures after it's installed in case anyone is interested. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gatornail said:
Well, I've finally decided on the AVIC-N2 by Pioneer and will have the guy order it for me today. Will take pictures after it's installed in case anyone is interested. :)
Go for it gatornail!!!

I can't wait to see the picts. If everything goes well for you, then I'll probably order one too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hawkGT647 said:
I'm assuming it will require a custom installation.

Also would like to see it when finished.

Regards,
It will require custom installation -- they tell me it will take the better part of a day to do, but the installation will run "less than $300."

I've also decided to replace the factory speakers at the same time. I considered a 12 CD changer as well, but no one in town has one right now so I will just add it later IF I need it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gatornail said:
hawkGT647 said:
I'm assuming it will require a custom installation.

Also would like to see it when finished.

Regards,
It will require custom installation -- they tell me it will take the better part of a day to do, but the installation will run "less than $300."

I've also decided to replace the factory speakers at the same time. I considered a 12 CD changer as well, but no one in town has one right now so I will just add it later IF I need it.
You should skip the CD changer and use an iPod with an iPod adapter instead!

:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in Fry's Electronics last weekend, and took a careful look at the Kenwood KVT-717DVD navigation headunit. I think it would have the same problem that the Pioneer unit has. In other words, the screen would hit the AC controls as it unfolded.

However, the way that the Kenwood unit opens I think it would have about 1.5" more clearance than the Pioneer unit. This means it would not have to protrude from the dash as much as the Pioneer unit, and might be easier to install.

Anyway, it's something to consider for those who are looking for nav systems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I got the AVIC-N2 installed in my car and I love it. The installation took pretty much all day (9am-5pm) and cost about $300, but they did a nice job. I opted NOT to have the unit "custom surrounded" because to do so they would have had to alter the car's dash and I don't want to have to mess with replacing any bits of the dash if I want to eventually go back to the factory stereo (like if I were to sell the car.) If anyone wishes to see pictures of the work, email me at [email protected] and I'll send the pictures to you by email.

The only suggestion I might make to anyone contemplating this is to consider having the unit installed at a slight angle (following the lines of the existing AC) to slightly point towards the driver. I don't know if that is possible, but I think that it might make the screen easier to read in strong sunlight. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, when you get a chance sometime, would you mind measuring how much the AVIC-N2 protrudes from the surrounding dash area? I'm about ready to plunk down the cash for one of these, but I want to make sure my knee won't hit it. I'm 6'3", so knee room always has me worried.

Thanks a bunch for making your picts available!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
10 Participants
ColoCruiserJeff
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing