Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On about Sat, March 8 I am driving my Insight from Seattle to Miami, FL for a seminar. Any good tips out there for maximizing my mpg?? It is a 2002 silver 5-sp and I already have 43,200 miles on it. My lmpg is only 70.5, but I have averaged 81.2 for the last 10,000 miles. I have found the keys to efficiency are 1) slow down a little 2) extra air in tires and 3) keep it in the lean burn mode. Any suggestions on how to cash in on tailwinds during this trip? (or how to minimize headwinds) Any great places to stop and see sights? Comments appreciated, Billy.......

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Billy said:
Any suggestions on how to cash in on tailwinds during this trip? (or how to minimize headwinds)

Well lets see, stay ahead of tailwinds and avoid headwinds. :lol:

But really, I tried some drafting on my cross country trip. I wouldn't suggest it as rocks can fly out from under those big truck tires. It also doesn't give you much time to stop if you need to. Plus it's against the law.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Billy said:
On about Sat, March 8 I am driving my Insight from Seattle to Miami, FL....
That's funny; last summer I did a drive rotated a bit relative to yours; from southern California to New England. I averaged over 70 mpg for the whole trip (over 3000 miles) and drove at the speed limit (which is as much as 75 mph in places). The only thing I did in preparation was go in a little early for my 45000 mile service, since I was going to pass that mileage on the trip and wanted to keep everything running smoothly.

You don't need to drive close behind large trucks in order to get a draft; you can hang back as much as a truck-length and still see it (I-10 is nothing but trucks and desert for miles so I had a lot of time to test this).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
One more thing you might do is buy some oil and a filter now to bring with you, just in case. You never know how hard it might be to get on the road if you need it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure your spare is properly inflated, as well; I had to use mine on my last long trip (unfortunately), and I'm very glad it was ready to go to get me the last few dozen miles to a tire dealer that stocked our favorite tiny tire.

By the way, you get insane mileage (90+) on the interstate going only 50 MPH with a 60 PSI micro-tire... not that I'd recommend it...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
By the way, you get insane mileage (90+) on the interstate going only 50 MPH with a 60 PSI micro-tire... not that I'd recommend it...
I'd like to get 4 Insights together and put 4 spare's on one and see what the resulting mileage comes out to. That would be interesting.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Tires

Ricky,
The spares may be high pressure but I believe they have a greater rolling resistance. I tried 2 spares on the rear wheels once and got worse mileage than the stock tires.
On another note this summer I will probably do a test with some Goodyear 145/80 tires. Have fun

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Interesting Reece. Anyway, tonight Bill came through Phoenix, Clayton Saffle and I met with him for dinner. It was great, we had a blue, red and silver one all together... if only we could have located a citrus yellow one in time. Anyway, Bill has been going for maximum mpg, hanging around 60mph he's averaged 91.8mpg on his way here. I was rather impressed, and seeing his dash saying that killed my 80mpg day ego.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Getting Depressed about MPG

Hey guys;

I'm hearing tales of some amazing mpg numbers: I can't beat 54mpg at 60-65mph. Here's what I've done so far to help:

- oil change
- inflate tires to 44psi
- get front brakes fixed

I'd like to be able to get something like 68mpg at 60-65mph. Any tips? Can someone please explain to me what "gas pedal technique" to keep the car in lean burn mode? I notice mine goes into "rich burn" fairly often.

Oh, and my "MAINT R'qd" light is on solid right now and won't go off. Plan to get it looked at on Monday.

Thanks for any tips;
JKB

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi JKB, I assume you have a 5 speed. Get the car going at a steady hiway speed. Very gently ease up slightly on the gas. After just 2 seconds the bar graph should jump to about 125 or more mpg. Now your in lean burn mode. Your task is to keep it there; if you let it dip below about 80 mpg it will exit the mode. About every 4 minutes it will PURGE the catalytic converter and fall to about 55mpg for 3 seconds. Just ease up slightly again and get it back to lean burn. About your maint req light, it will come on every 7500 miles. Just reset it by holding down the right 2 buttons while turning on the ign key. It explains it in your owners manual. I hope this helps.......Billy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Billy said:
Hi JKB, I assume you have a 5 speed. <snip>
About your maint req light, it will come on every 7500 miles. Just reset it by holding down the right 2 buttons while turning on the ign key. It explains it in your owners manual. I hope this helps.......Billy
I can hold the "trip" button only for 10 seconds while turning on the ignition and clear the maint. light.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You know what I turned off the real time MPG information and now that I am not looking at it, The FCD shows a 10 mpg increase to 64 for the life time.
but then again 70* temps probally have helped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts