Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it does have a few problems the minor ones are shocks struts o2 sensor and windshield... and the big problem is its 232k miles dead battery, now is this high mileage going to hurt me in the long run? Is alot of engine work needed, or is it just all in the battery. Rebuiliding the engine like rebuilding a reg car engine. Please get me some input, and how much it is from the dealer now for a new battery install thank you.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
What is the maintenance history? are the service records available, have the valves been adjusted, what is the LMPG, that may give you a good indication of the batteries, but at over 200K I think they may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
battery is dead, lifetime milege is 51.1 i think, but its at a really low cost of 3500 so im wondering if the engine would need work soon, and if so how much would it be.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hate to speak negitively but depending on the how worn the engine is you may be better off putting another type engine in it. Replacing the battery pack can put you back $1500 or more and even if you could find a one in a junk yard would you trust it ? I personally wouldn't. Their has been talk of putting other Honda engines in an Insight on this forum in the past and the closest one that most people think might work is the 1.3L 4 cylinder out of a civic hybrid. You could drop it in and connect it directly to the transmission. If the bolt pattern on it would match up to the Insight tranny is unknown. O course at this point you wouldn't have a hybrid any more but one that could still get very good mileage. Just my 2c worth.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
My gut tells me that when you are all said and done, you could buy one with lower miles which is in running condition for the money you'll end up spending to get that in the same operating condition.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You might also want to look at the "Hybrid controls & MIMA project" thread in the "Modifications & Technical Issues" section. The last few pages are starting to get into building replacement battery packs from Prius cells.

A lot depends on you: how much you want to work on the car, how interested you are in experimenting, etc. If you are planning to pay other people to do the work, then I'd say it's not worth it. But if the engine isn't in too bad shape, and you can locate a used battery from a salvage yard and install it yourself, you might have something.

But if you decide not to go for it, you might post the seller's info for the more adventurous spirits here :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its hard finding one right now, just when i decided im going to buy it, i only see like 5 total on cars.com autotrader and autobuytel... well if anyone in losangeles areas up to 200 miles away planning on selling let me know heh ... email jianwa at gmail

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
There are a couple on the Bay Area Craigslist that have been there a while and would be flexible on price, I bet.

One 134,000 mile 2000 is asking 8950, but in a previous listing for the same car they said they would take $7000.

As far as the previous discussions, I would bet that $7k for a working 134k car is a much better deal than $3.5k for an over 200k car which is not working!

Try contacting those guys.

The Bay Area Craigslist always has at least a couple at any given time. I got Jane off of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
gravey said:
its hard finding one right now, just when i decided im going to buy it, i only see like 5 total on cars.com autotrader and autobuytel... well if anyone in losangeles areas up to 200 miles away planning on selling let me know heh ... email jianwa at gmail
La Mirada Chevrolet has two insights for sale at 55,000 and 60,000 miles on the odemeter. I just bought one from them (they had 3). I paid $11,888 out the door for the one with the lowest mileage and in the best condition, window sticker was 15,850 + tax.. They are pretty close to LA, all of 20 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts