Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I recently decided to push the K24 swap further into the future, I am going to explore exactly what we owners can do for some more performance without drastically effecting fuel economy or drivability. I am also using this time to explore the car more to have a better foundation for when the REAL horsepower comes into effect.

I am going to use this thread to document some of the things I do, and keep the discussion going about adding some more fun factory without destroying the purpose of the car.

If you get queezy over wrecking some of your fuel efficiency, this is your warning! Fun is inbound!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First up is what is done so far.

--GAZ rear shocks

--Airbox cut up for more sound (mostly able to hear how bad the engine is lugging), doubles as a warm air intake for a little extra economy

--Extra ground wiring galore. 2 on transmission, one to valvecover moutning stud of the cover, FAT ground from battery to firewall with copper washers used to ensure conductivity

--engine/transmission mounts replaced with new bushings (bought as is form ebay, no knowledge on my part), filled with 3M Window Weld from partsstore

--Adjusted clutch master for slightly better foot feel (follow OEM honda spec's for adjsutment, do it every few years!)

--basic maintenance. Brake fluid flushed and bled, clutch fluid flushed and bled, new front brakes, new tires, full underbody inspection, transmission fluid change to Synchromesh

--new 12v battery

--de-pinned green/white wire for DC-DC basic control defaulting to ON all the time during normal operations

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PLANS

-HCH transmission. Left alone, no need to adjust gearing at the moment

-HCH VSS leaves the speed inaccurate. Fix this with multiple methods, HCH sized tires (185/70/14), swap to 07-08 Fit VSS and run FIT sized tires for 100% accuracy (smaller than HCH), or use arduino DIY converter setup for under $50 overall

-replace intake manifold and throttlebody, going to use automatic 96-00 civic EX, extend MAP sensor wiring from above transmission to near throttlebody (civic MAP is throttle mounted). Idea/plan with intake manifold, reduce runner length, increase runner size, add BIGGER plenum. May just cut and weld a stock D16Y8 intake manifold, create new runners to adapt to Insight EGR plate. MAINTAINING EGR!!!

- de-cate entirely. Port exhaust port on head, make a 2 inch exhaust with a nice quiet muffler to keep car perfectly acceptable for LOONG drives

Overall goal is to add a total of at least 15-20hp, maintain WITHIN 20% of peak fuel economy (if 100mpg now, I want to maintain at least 80mpg, example)

OPEN FOR DISCUSSION!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
What the heck have you been smoking?

·
Premium Member
Southern California
801 Posts
You're talking about increasing the stock horsepower by 25-30%... I wish you luck! I'd consider it basically impossible without a turbo.

Are you going to get it dyno'd to have solid measurements before making changes?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
HCH1 transmission swap alone is going make it feel faster since the engine will stay in powerband every time you shift.
I agree, but going up in tire size may largely negate that.

The Insight engine is fairly high compression, and runs on 87. I'd wager there's more than a few ft-lbs (especially low in the rev range) available with more ignition advance.

You might also consider a 12v relocation to the rear for better weight distribution, and new rear beam axle bushings.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Without a tunable ECU to take advantage of these changes it's a long road to performance. A less restrictive exhaust or intake changes would alter your rich/lean conditions and throw stock maps off for instance. Small turbo is a well-worn path with results. If you've got the patience and know-how then I will root for you if you blaze your own path.

Mak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts