Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended while stopped behind a school bus last Thursday. I was stopped, but the Olds Cutlass was going about 5-10 mph when he smacked me.His bumper was just below my bumper, so it pushed in the bottom shroud, but did not touch the upper bumper cover.
The black bottom shroud had a big kink in it, and the bumper cover had a couple of small nicks. I brought it in for the estimate, and they came up with ~$1200 damage. I took off the shroud and while resting it on a wooden table in the sun to soften it, I was able to bang out the kink with a hammer from the inside, and it was as good as new, except for a few minor scrapes.
A few new screws and fasteners, and it is fixed, and the $1200 is in my pocket. Try that with a steel car.
I had a similar experience with my Saturn, and also with my Fiero. Plastic cars have saved me several thousand bucks. I am a believer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
congrats :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
James,
Thats cool, guess I should follow more school buses.;)
you dont wanna do that...all that stop and go will be killer on your mpg...unless your using your e wheel of course :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian and I swapped bumper shrouds from the blue Insight to my red one yesterday.
It now looks like nothing happened.
I got another check in the mail from the insurance company for some additional damage to the spare tire box ( booster battery box). The corner was slightly pushed in.
Total payout $1560, total cost to repair $0.
Still need several more of these to pay for the car.
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts