Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gen1 Insight is a very austere, purposeful car. The car wastes no weight so every part seems to have a clear function basis. I have wondered for a while what the purpose of the plastic engine cover attached over the valve cover might be. I know many folks leave the cover off, so it doesn't seem to have a clear function, yet Honda designers put it there. What is the justification for this seeming non functional part?

Inquiring minds and such;)

·
Linsight Designer
3,446 Posts
FYI: If you remove the engine cover, then you can also remove the 20 ounce steel bracket that the front engine cover bolt mounts to... it doesn't serve any other purpose, other than maybe to protect certain components in a wreck.

I doubt there's any consequence to removing the cover... other than just how goofy the tiny engine underneath it looks.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
What plastic cover? Oh wait, that thing I took off of my car when I first got it. I never understood the point of those either. I think it's to make the engine bay look nicer. Which doesn't make sense because anyone who's going to open the hood of a car probably wants to see the engine. The type of people who would like that kind of thing probably won't open the hood anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Unfortunately mine had to come off :(. Been thinking of modifying one to fit but I haven't gotten around to it.

Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,987 Posts
ALL new vehicles now days use an "engine cover" aerodynamics. Mainly for that SMOOOOTH look.
The Insight cover is also designed to allow air to be forced/directed over the head for cooling.
Rather than to rely on a "radiant cooling".
The LRR still has hers installed. IMHO

·
Registered
40 Posts
:unsure: Also have pondered the cover.
Thinking it follows (followed) the trending evolution of 'Aesthetically' Shrouded, Factory 'Styling' for non-D.I.Y. consumers over last couple decades? A few of you have mentioned throughout the forum some sort of into/under fender air redirect toward the motor?
😀 Enjoying a bunch of this thread:
🔹"...a very austere, purposeful car."
-jime

🔹"...how goofy the tiny engine... looks..."
-mudder

🔹"...SMOOOOTH..."
-Willie W.

🔹Balto's Ultra-Rare 'Citrus Red' G1
❗🕵️‍♂️ Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
🍊❗
Safe Road,

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
...The Insight cover is also designed to allow air to be forced/directed over the head for cooling. Rather than to rely on a "radiant cooling"...
I would have said only for 'style', but I'll buy into this idea, too. It's hard to notice, but the insulation under the hood is very tight under there, so without the plastic shroud it would be compressed against the valve cover, at least in some areas. Just the other day I was turning my hose clamps, on hoses over the valve cover, so the metal tangs that stick out wouldn't dig into the hood insulation. With the shroud in place there'd always be an even space for air flow over the valve cover/head...

Having said that, I don't use it, I prefer the more raw look without, plus getting rid of a bunch of seemingly unnecessary do-dads and bobbles:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Vehicle

Hand tool Tool Pliers Metalworking hand tool Bicycle part

Stock:
Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive air manifold Automotive super charger part Personal luxury car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts