Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, it's been a while. During lockdown I took the liberty of lackadaisically tearing down my transmission and doing the synchro mod (I did the ISB years ago without knowing about the synchro issue). I've been moving pretty slowly on it for a while now, but just the other day I was bumping around in the basement and looked over my fine craftsmanship, and noticed that after I had already sealed up the transmission and gotten it ready to go back into the car, the plastic (oil channel?) piece is sitting on my parts table. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's worth it to split the cases back apart and clean and reseal it, or if I should just sweep it under the rug and pretend I didn't see it. I can't imagine Honda engineers put it in there for no reason, but I didn't know how critical it was. Anyone have any info?

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Take it back apart and put it back in. If it’s not there oil is not getting directed to the proper locations. It’s easier to do it now, since you haven’t filled the transmission with oil it’s easy to just clean the sealant from the mating surface.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
What Scott said. That plastic piece is the oil galley. Without it, transmission oil will not get delivered to the bearings that need it.

Running the transmission without it will surely result in premature, and possibly catastrophic, failure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured would be the case, but I just wanted to double check. Back to the parts store for some more silicone...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts