Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I saw someone post that Honda has a special bulletin for repair of Insights with major damage....Well,I have one that needs to have an entire front end replaced.....and I can't find the post ....

I have done the search,but still no luck...I have to buy this front clip today,but the bodyman wants to see this first,so if you can help me out,I will be very grateful!!!Thanks in advance

[email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the one page info in the "encyclopedia"

anyone know anymore about a front end transplant?

Basically cutting off the Front Frame and welding a new one on....

Thanks in advance......Bob

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, there's a body manual, available from Helm. It talks a lot about welding aluminum in general, then shows where the welds go in the factory assembly process, then gives the body dimensions. There's no specfic section on "replacing the front clip." Basically, you cut off the old one and weld on the new one, just like on a regular steel bodied car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,doug

these cars are relatively fragile......even going in the ditch is going to do some expensive damage.....expected,i guess......

I will keep looking for more info,Thanks,bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are there any body panel info manuals? I need to get the front bumper off to repair some minor front end damage, and I have spent 2hrs taking off every bolt/screw I can find, and I still can't get the thing off!

Any help would be great. Looking for manuals, service guides, 3rd party manuals, or any pdf stuff you guys might just be able to email me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
The body manual has nothing that will help. It is more on assembly (factory how to on welding and where each aeld goes). Shop manual page 20-59 shows:

2 hex head bolts from underneath just to the inside of each lower air dam.
4 hex head screws. Will (may) have to remove the inner wheel wells and looks like will HAVE to remove the lower air dams, 2 of these are going up from inside the wheel well on each side to fasten to the fenders just behind the headlights.
6 phillips head screws: 3 each from the inside of the wheel well on the lower front edge.
4 clips: shows to be the pry up the center kind, one on each side just to the inside of the headlight in front of the radiator. one each side from underneath the car, looks to be in line with the ones from above

Ther are some clips/hooks in front of the radiator, and the headlights, which appear to hold the upper edge in place. After all the fasteners are removed it should just slide from underneath the clips.

Watch out for the outside air temp sensor that is mounted in the center of the lower grille area. Would also caution about any SRS (air bag deployment stuff) the may be in this area. Manual does'nt say anything about it on this page.

Probably have to remove the 3 panels underneath the engine also :?:

Randall

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picking up my Insight next weekend Dec.2 Pittsburgh

Damage not as severe as intially thought....front end pulled on a rack,really only the bumper arms.No crush zones affected,alignment perfect,drives great,looks excellent...I will have parts left over...Hood,fenders,headlights....some with broken tabs,but very usable.

Thanks to all for your help....I am looking forward to bonding with my Insight,and contributing to the interesting dialogue on this board!

Best to all,and Thanks again!!!!!!Bob...2002 Red 5 speed,76K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts