Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 5 speed with 105 thousand miles. I would sell my 33K mile CVT insight that I just bought I would net over 3000K profit in the swap. I figured this would help pay for taxes, and a new battery pack If the need arose.

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

thanks
-Jon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am worried about a a 100K mile car though

I guess I am just testing the general opinion. My CVT is a 2001 the 5 speed is a 2000. The 5 -speed is a one owner vehicle with all the honda service records. I am assuming this inclused the charge controller and battery computer service bullitens but I will check this out tonight.

Does 70K make that much of a difference in the powertrain? Are batteries in the 2000 more likely to have issues that the 2001 (set aside these batteries have 70K more miles)

as I said I'll have a reserve of about 2K for batteries if the need arises.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No, keep the new one. Forget about the hybrid-ness; it's a newer car. Won't rattle as much, seats won't be worn out, won't need new brakes, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Dougie -- $3K doesn't seem like enough to compensate
for all the extra costs of a much higher-mileage car. The difference in mpg
isn't that great between the two. I agree that it's more fun to drive a stick,
but if you bought the CVT in the first place, that must not have been such
an important factor for you.

Think of it this way -- assume an insight is good for 200,000 miles. A simplistic calculation is $20K/200,000 miles means $1K per 10,000 miles.
But of course the first 100,000 miles are really much cheaper than the
second 100,000 miles in terms of maintenance, so I'd value a 10,000
mile chunk of use that falls in the first 100,000 miles at even more than $1K.
But even ignoring that and going with the simple calculation, the 70,000 mile difference between the two cars is worth more like $7K than $3K.

Steve

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It makes no sense to sell a newer car for an older one with high mileage. You'd be better off just buying a brand new 5 speed.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Keep yours. That's a big miles difference for not enough $$$$.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't do it if your commute to work has any stop and go traffic. When I get into any here in the DFW area with my 5 speed it just wears my left leg out and runs the battery down in a hurry. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd keep the new one unless I was putting the 3k towards something else that is completely unrelated and was convinced the older one wouldn't need any more repairs than I had already budgeted for the new one. There is no point in having the 3k if you are setting it aside for maintenance of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jon:

I have a 2002 cvt Insight and a 2001 5sp Insight. While it's true the manual transmission will get a little better MPG you have to work at it were the CVT model is much easier to get it's maximum MPG. If I had to choose between the two I would chose the CVT model for this reason. My CVT model gets around 60 MPG which I feel is wonderful with little attention to driving habits.

Rick Lewis

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
cktman said:
While it's true the manual transmission will get a little better MPG you have to work at it were the CVT model is much easier to get it's maximum MPG
Which is much less. Many people are getting 90 to 100mpg with the 5 speeds, while with the CVT you will only get 50 to 60 (working at it).

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I would think to achieve 90 to 100 MPGs in a manual transmission, you
have to "work at it" as well. MT: 90 - 100 MPG or CVT 60-70 MPG are
both hard to achieve but not impossible in some areas of the country.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts