Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an effort to make the FAS mod as easy as possible for people to install I have turned Mike's FAS card into a Plug-and-Play version!

What is "FAS"?
FAS stands for Forced Auto Stall (or Forced Auto Stop) and allows for engine off coasting at any speed via the push of a momentary button. All of the factory safeties are maintained and putting the car back in gear will restart the motor just like normal auto stop. This has been proven to be a very effective mod for increasing fuel economy in the Insight.

To install simply remove one plug from your ECM and plug in the FAS adapter harness.
NOTE: Do NOT connect this to the MCM or BCM in the IPU. The connector is the same and it will fit but it goes on the ECU in the passenger footwell!!! It comes ready to install with a momentary push button switch wired with enough length to allow you to mount in your chosen location.

The only wiring that is required is if you wish to keep your DC/DC converter enabled for extended engine off coasting. In that case you simply have to run the included twisted pair wires back to the IPU and and make one connection with quick splices. More information about that can be found here: http://99mpg.com/mima/thefassystem/

The FAS system works by automating several safety features in conjunction with killing the fuel injectors on command to stop the engine. It allows the car to function exactly like normal auto-stop in that all you have to do to restart the engine is put the shifter back in gear.

More about the Original FAS card, as well as pictures of the DC/DC wiring can be seen here: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/12339-complete-fas-mod.html

What to expect after FAS install (From Mike's website):

1. When the engine goes off with FAS, the engine oil light comes on. That's normal. The oil light turns off when the engine comes back on. Use this as your FAS active indication.

2. To stop the engine with the momentary switch you have to hold the switch for a few seconds. If the momentary contact is too short, the engine just rev's immediately back to up to idle speed.Hold it until you are sure the engine has stopped.

3. While the FAS operation simulates autostop with all the safety features it does not actually initiate a real autostop with the autostop light flashing etc.
Enjoy!

These take quite a bit of labor to make, but it keeps people from having to solder upside down in the passenger foot well! The Price is $135 shipped priority mail to the 48 states. If you want one of the pre-made FAS cards without the PNP harness the price is $105 I only have a limited number of these FAS Boards and I don't plan on having any more made. Thanks!

-Steve

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks neat and I know a lot of effort has gone into those damn connectors. :)
Yea... Lol, I wouldn't want to do this for a living ;) Thanks! Hope it proves useful for some people.

-Steve

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, nope still NPN =)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Why is the cable so long? Otherwise, looks like a great solution for those of us who hate cutting factory wires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Steve,

WHere can I get a set of the connectors? I would like to make the FAS that you sent me last week a P&P.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there,

I am afraid that the connectors are hard to come by. I got mine in a large lot of surplus ECM connectors. You would have to find the plugs, small and large pins, and the special crimper to properly crimp the tyco pins to the wires. If you want PM me and we can try to work out an exchange for a PNP version.

-Steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi there,

I am afraid that the connectors are hard to come by. I got mine in a large lot of surplus ECM connectors. You would have to find the plugs, small and large pins, and the special crimper to properly crimp the tyco pins to the wires. If you want PM me and we can try to work out an exchange for a PNP version.

-Steve
I haven't sent mine out yet, I'll try to get it out tomorrow, thanks George.

·
Registered
167 Posts
To clear up some confusion I've been having with other ICers offline. Does this FAS board work with CVT or only MT.

Truck

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Truck,

I am not sure, I will try to ask Mike. I want to say that we might be able to find a way to wire it to "work" just as a M/T but as racer said I am not sure about it causing damage to the CVT... Sorry I can't give you a firm answer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This was my understanding that the consensus was "bad idea" in CVT due to harshness on transmission. Thank you for your input.

Truck

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Steve and I will be designing a test fixture, that will allow a quick 100% operational test and wiring test, so we are sure they are fully functional before shipping.

Looking at slightly different connector configuration that will make the two connectors fit right between the existing harness connector and the ECM, with the FAS board on the other end, " 4" away so it can be tucked up above the ECM connectors.
Will post photos when we have the design firmed up.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
not sure what your asking,in my last post above, we stated that the completed P&P FAS system will be fully tested with the test fixture, which will confirm that the pin to pin connections are correct, as well as allowing full test of the FAS board operation.

Steve has tested the assembled boards he has sold, with the test fixture that I sold hime with the boards.
we will modify that fixture to also test the board with harness, so the assembled boards wil be tested before and after attaching the P&P harness

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
32 Participants
secteur_cyclist
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing