Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a few times and I may be beating a dead horse on this one but I'm going to ask anyways.

My situation: I live in a town where I do about 25% city and 75% highway driving but my average trip is no longer than 15 miles. It's pretty flat but there are a couple decently long climbs. I can't seem to get my battery to charge more than about 75% of the way no matter how I drive. Which leads me to my question. Oh and a quick note My battery is still under warranty for another 6 years.

What are my options for charging my 2001 insight's battery or possibly using it more effectively.

I've read about the MIMA system and have considered it. I've also read about FAS and the CalPod Mod neither of which I know much about.

I'm not the greatest with electronics but I know a few electricians and am willing to learn a thing or two.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Oh and a quick note My battery is still under warranty for another 6 years. What are my options for charging my 2001 insight's battery or possibly using it more effectively.
First question is why do you believe that you still have 6 more years on the battery warranty when you have a 2001 model? The warranty is for 10 years or 157K miles (whatever comes first). Even if you had the battery replaced in the past, you don;t get to start all over with the warranty period.

Now to offer some suggestions: You did not say if you own the MT model or CVT model Insight but if you own the MT model, are you leaving the clutch engaged (in gear) to allow for regen to occur as much as possible when approaching a red light or stop sign? FAS will not help you with regen, it actually shuts off the engine so no regen will occur. MIMA will allow you to control the amount of regen and when you want regen.

Another thought is to just reset the system, do a search on the MCM reset.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake, my warranty on the battery is good till the mileage end. I've got 66k on it now.

It's a MT. I've been trying to break the habit of taking the car out of gear and coasting so the battery can regen so I am working on that. I'll keep reading about the MIMA system sounds promising. I'll also search the MCM reset.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts