Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work yesterday I stop at the local package store for some beer. The owner, who has seen me stop in before say's " I've been meaning to ask you about your car. Is it a fuel cell car?" I explain to him that it is a hybrid, a gasoline/electric. His other helper in the store then say's "So you just plug it in every night?" :roll: How long have hybrids been out now?...6 years I believe.... Anyhow, I explain to them both basically how it operates and that I get 52-60 mpg and that the 5 speed version is significantly better yet.

By the way, they both were driving SUV's probably getting 15 or so MPG... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
OK, he's been watching GM commercials. :roll:

You should have told him that you were a time traveller from the year 2023, and that the car was a polymer/aluminum hybrid running on blended synthahol. 8) :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
IEEE article on plug-ins

There's a good article in the IEEE Spectrum magazine this month about plug-in hybrids.
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/re ... 5ncar.html

"Some of the most eager owners of the Prius, the world's most popular hybrid, have been hacking the cars, swapping their 1.3-kilowatthour battery packs for bigger ones with capacities as large as 9 kWh. The modifications also include the addition of plugs so the new, bigger battery packs can be recharged from wall outlets. The resulting machines, referred to as plug-in hybrids, can be propelled exclusively by their electric motors for, in some cases, more than 30 kilometers without their gasoline engines ever turning on. The factory-built Prius can run on electricity only, but for just a kilometer or two."

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
b1shmu63 wrote:

You should have told him that you were a time traveller from the year 2023, and that the car was a polymer/aluminum hybrid running on blended synthahol.
And then when they don't believe you.......show them the Flux Capacitor Discharge button.

It's over to the left of the sterring wheel, near the rearview mirror................................ :wink:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Scott said:
the store then say's "So you just plug it in every night?" :roll:
In an odd way, this ignorance makes me happy. Notice the wording "So you just plug it in every night?" and not "So you HAVE to plug it in?".

Makes me think that people seem to want to be able to plug in their cars, instead of pumping in $50 worth of gas every 5 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts