Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you know IMAC&C is my version of manual IMA control similar to Mima.
It's installed in lots of cars and works well.

A big PITA is the installation, hacking into the wiring loom, mounting the lcd, running cables all over the place and mounting the switch.
I always said I would never do a P&P version. Well I'm not going to in the same way as Mike did with duplicate MCM connectors and masses of wires.
I had a sort of eureka moment last night in bed as a new idea came to me about how to achieve a simpler plug and play version.

It will need two parts.

1) An exchange MCM which has been internally modified. To the user it's a simple ten minute swap in the back.
2) An OBDIIC&C to generate the signals required. This just plugs into the OBDII Port as now.

I'm not going to reveal what goes on in the MCM yet.

The OBDIIC&C will be used with a second switch matrix added where reqd by the user.

We have ports on the OBDIIC&C for external devices, so the switches I use can simply be plugged into the J4 expansion port for instance.

The button switches will be the only part that has to be connected and mounted ;)

The OBDIIC&C screen will double as the IMAC&C screen when reqd.

The first version of the modified OBDIIC&C software will just give simple manual IMA control in the stepped method I use currently.

i.e.
Button Left/Right = 4 levels of assist / 5 levels of regen.
Button Push revert to OEM Control.

I'll look at knocking up a prototype this week.

In the future it may be possible to have a non OBDIIC&C device such as a BT adapter and phone App plug into the OBDII port and control the IMAC&C. ;)

The OBDIIC&C can be built for ~$100 Lots already have it as well.
The modified MCM will be several hundred $ depending on how long it takes me to mod each one.

I might reveal a pcb and the secrets of how it works for the DIY brigade later. ;)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Sounds like someone's memory peeking and poking hit pay dirt :).

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Done a lot of work on the code today and now have something basic to test this week.

One issue is that I need an ADC input on the OBDIIC&C for a seperate IMAC&C 5 way button.

The only one accessible :( is the SCS line output pin 4 on J1, so I could sacrifice that to allow it to be turned into an ADC input.

The SCS Mode to flash the blink codes will still be accessible via the IMAC&C control rather than the OBDIIC&C menu.

I could make the OBDIIC&C button double up/work the IMAC&C but that is not very easy to manipulate or convenient to mount when on the big OBDIIC&C pcb.

Thoughts? Separate remote button for IMAC&C side or double up functions on the OBDIIC&C button?

Or

We could simply have three momentary push buttons remotely mounted as I have spare logic high/low inputs.
Like the HCH1 IMAC&C.

With two logic inputs to the OBDIIC&C pic for instance on J4 and three switches you could have four states using three wires.
That would simply connect to J4 using the screw terminals.

i.e.
Both Inputs Low.
Left Switch Regen. Input 1 High/Low
Right Switch Assist. Input 2 High/Low
Middle Switch Cancel. Input 1 & 2 High

OK. I think i'm going with that, as it's very easy to solder 3 switches on some veroboard.
And I know some of you don't like that little 5 way switch.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
“Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple.” -Einstein

Awesome work Peter!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
We could simply have three momentary push buttons remotely mounted as I have spare logic high/low inputs.
Like the HCH1 IMAC&C.

With two logic inputs to the OBDIIC&C pic for instance on J4 and three switches you could have four states using three wires.
That would simply connect to J4 using the screw terminals.

i.e.
Both Inputs Low.
Left Switch Regen. Input 1 High/Low
Right Switch Assist. Input 2 High/Low
Middle Switch Cancel. Input 1 & 2 High

OK. I think i'm going with that, as it's very easy to solder 3 switches on some veroboard.
And I know some of you don't like that little 5 way switch.
I vote for this option. The three buttons with short/long press works extremely well on the HCH1, and frankly, I can't really imagine needing the fine tuned options used by one of the 5-way switch axes.

Will there be an ABC disable like in the HCH1? ie, first regen tap disables ABC, second is 15% regen third is 30% and so on... half second press is max?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will there be an ABC disable like in the HCH1? ie, first regen tap disables ABC, second is 15% regen third is 30% and so on... half second press is max?
Probably as the software develops. ;)
4 levels for assist, 5 for regen with first being abc disable. etc

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I like idea of three button mode.

I often times find myself having to look at the imac&c gauge repeatedly bc my 5 axis button clicks arent registered in the way desired, expected or sometimes not registered at all.

I would try to re solder my switch as its probably tracking across or something but its covered permanently in epoxy :Damn:

Any easy way to add this three button system to the existing IMAC&C setup?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think the initial three button code is OK now.

It will connect to the J4 connector on the OBDIIC&C PCB using three wires to J4 pins 2,3,4
The Ct1 3.5mm plug Logging connector is heavily in use for other stuff so I have decided not to use it.

The three buttons will initially give Assist in four steps, Regen in five steps (1st step is disable abc), and Cancel button.
Long/short press differentiation not available in this first test version.

I won't be adding three button control to the hardwired/spliced IMAC&C anytime soon.
Someone else could look at that ;) the source code and schematic are in the main thread.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
My wallet says no, but I say yes! Let me know when you have a working version and I'll buy it. I still gotta pick up a OBD2C&C.

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Working on the bench!

By popular demand IMAC&C plug and play!

Uses a modified MCM supplied, and a simple three push switch board connected to the OBDIIC&C expansion port.

Price don't know yet, need to do more work on the software and test it in the car.

http://youtu.be/y_MfIABXpuU

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
-screeches like a little girl- I really hope this works! Like you said in the video, no reason it shouldn't but, when it comes to insights who knows lol.

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll test it this afternoon If I get a chance.

Just testing on the bench and OBDIIC&C gauge refresh rate is actually the same as normal, so no IMAC&C overhead functionality penalty which is nice.

The clever bit in the MCM has some safety stuff built in, suffice to say if the OBDIIC&C is not plugged in/working then you are history and back in OEM Mode within 250ms.

OBDIIC&C has to be on the main display screen for IMAC&C to work.
If you go into the menus/parameters selection etc etc it drops back to OEM mode.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Silly question:

Since what you need is three buttons... and the OBDIIC&C has a serial port...

Can you just use the PCB for the HCH1 IMAC&C and send the button presses to the serial port? I mean, all it really is is three buttons and serial I/O anyway (and fits perfectly in a tiny little mountable box).

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's not silly, but a few issues come to mind.

It's won't be plug and play if you have to hack in an HCH1 IMAC&C to the wiring.
The ObdII port only has 12v available so HCH1 IMAC&C cant be plugged into that directly, it has no onboard voltage regulator.

Even if it could then you can't have the OBDIIC&C plugged in as well.
The ideas is to KIS. Plug and play is what people want.

You perhaps could use the HCH1 IMAC&C pcb/box purely to mount the switches with a bit of hacking and the addition of diodes etc.
No pic or other components, note I haven't looked at the schematic. etc etc. i.e. The Obdiic&c still does the control.

It's probably better simply to design a new switch pcb specifically for that little box.
I might look at that as I will likely be ordering some more pcb's shortly.

·
Registered
939 Posts
would the mcm we get in trade be the same series? (10, 30, ect).
Im not sure it would really matter much, or even if there is any real difference in them at all but figured id ask.

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No you get what the last person sent me back.
If you want yours modding you would have to send it to me.

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Working as hoped. :)

Simply Plug in the modified MCM.
Plug in the OBDIIC&C with added switches.
Flash the OBDIIC&C with the latest code and away you go.

http://youtu.be/GUXMhcvIr5k

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Attached is the very simple schematic for the switch matrix that you wire into the OBDIIC&C expansion port J4 on the Pcb.

It should be rugged and reliable.
The switches can be mounted away from the OBDIIC&C upto say 0.5m might be OK.

I did mine on a little piece of veroboard.

On manual cars it would be possible to pass the signals through the clockspring for a steering wheel install if you are brave.

Attachments

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Like Stueveo said: Genius ! Thank you Peter. Non electrically inclined clutses like me love this sort of thing.

A repeat question: does mcm model (10 or 30) matter ?
Dumb question: will it work on a cvt ?

1 - 20 of 375 Posts