Honda Insight Forum banner

321 - 340 of 375 Posts

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
More click levels.

For joystick testers try this. It has quite a few more click up/down levels.
Please report back what currents you see in both regen/assist at each click.

A few notes.

This is for 9600 baud joystick systems...

To reprogram the joystick it has to be unplugged from the OBD port (if direct connection) or disconnected from the OBDIIC&C (if via OBDIIC&C) or the programmer won't detect it correctly.

I'm looking at several mods to the IMAC&C P&P and OBDIIC&C combo system for the future.

1) User selectable click levels. (For joystick via OBDIIC&C users) A new menu in the OBDIIC&C software will allow you to step through the up/down clicks and then select a power level value for that click/position. It will remember them for future use.

2) At the moment the IMAC&C system and the OBDIIC&C don't know what the Oem system is requesting/doing on the three main IMA control lines. Mamode1, Mamode2, CmdPwr.
There are enough free connections for the pic in the MCM module to obtain this data and then send it to the OBDIIC&C via the HLine. It would require three extra wires soldering onto the MCM board but that's easy enough.
The MCM board already sends a data packet to the OBDIIC&C so this would just mean adding three extra data bytes into it..

With this extra info we could have smarter control and some of the IMA boost feature set, i.e turn oem assist up/down as we wanted.

3) A rotary encoder knob add on to allow some easier control of functions.

4) Another surprise involving a complete makeover..

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #322 (Edited)
Simpler Joystick code.

This joystick firmware is for users with an OBDIIC&C running the V12 code 050517 or above.
Older joystick firmware is not compatible with OBDIIC&C code above V11.

Previously the joystick was working out what to send the MCM control unit via the OBDIIC&C. Now the joystick just sends raw ADC X/Y Axis and button info to the OBDIIC&C as a constant stream of serial data. The OBDIIC&C does all the clever stuff. This make the joystick code much simpler.

Note there are still be two versions of the joystick code.
One for control wired via OBDIIC&C (this one).
One for control wired direct to OBDII port for those without an OBDIIC&C (previously posted).

The changes to the joystick code also make it easier and simpler to include some of the future options mentioned in prev posts.

As always please report issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I have the system installed and working.

I have the version with OBDII gauge and a joystick control, the joystick cable plugs into the I2C socket marked J4 on the gauge PCB, the OBDII being plugged into the OBDII port on the car

I wired the supplied pcb into the MCM as per the Youtube videos, and reflashed the Gauge with a new version of software.

I accessed the setup menu on the OBDIIgauge to turn on IMAC&C and then selected the Joystick option.

A couple of exploratory short drives show the system to be working, I can call assist and regen on demand as intended. I do not have much time on my hands at the moment, (WORK!) so will not have the chance of any decent road trips for a couple of weeks.

The system works and a useful (fun) addition to driving our cars!
Where did you install the joystick?
I am still searching for a good rigid way to install it.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I put my joystick on the e-brake handle (as with mima set ups). I used a velcro type product called 'Command Strips' to hold it. Allows temporary removal when needed.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
+1 On Mountain Drivers suggestion. I installed mine on the shifter knob with 3M velcro. Works great. MAKE SURE IT'S 3M. Don't go cheap on your adhesive. Having to do it again later, while trying to get old adhesive off sucks.

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Stock..

Got four IMAC&C P&P + OBDIIC&C kits ready today.

E-mail me to haggle.. ;)

Also have 50 OBDIIC&C's available built, cased and tested..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Peter. Would you mind updating the OP with instructions (or a link to them) on how to update the joystick and MCM software? As well as checking which joystick hardware you have? I'm not quite comprehending on exactly what the procedure is, and considering how much it costed me, I don't want to mess this up and brick something.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I'm on mobile, so I can't see signatures. My apologies. I'll switch to 'normie' mode and take a look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any IMAC&C for sale?

I'm looking for a IMAC&C for sale or detailed plans to make it... Maybe I don't have enough experience to build it. I must also say I don't do well searching through Forums because of how much content there is and is also seems chaotic to me (no offense intended). Please respond thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
Ok, I'll respond, but you aren't going to like it. You expect us to do your research for you? You learn a lot by reading these posts, so dig in and start reading.

You have already posted in three threads that contain the answer to your question. In case you can't see the links, here they are:

Batteries & chargers introduction.
Insight G1 Obdiic&c user manual.
Insight G1 Imac&c p&p IMA control user manual.
Insight G1 IMA boost device user manual.
Insight G1 & HCH1 Civic Current hack user manual.
HCH1 Civic Imac&c user manual.
ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #332

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #333 (Edited)
IMAC&C Joystick Gear knob 3d printed.

Dan has done a nice job on designing a prototype replacement 3d printed gearknob into which the little IMAC&C joystick fits.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #336 (Edited)
Gearknob joystick in use.

Another video of the gearknob Imac&c p&p joystick holder.
I am getting half a dozen made asap so let me know via e-mail (not PM) if you want one..

These will be about $50 each as they take a bit to print and are in two parts...

I'm also testing a minor code update for the IMAC&C P&P joystick.
Hopefully this will cure an intermittent hang in the comms between the Joystick and the OBDIIC&C which causes the OBDIIC&C to freeze until the joystick is moved.

If you have noticed this let me know on here.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
....great!

Hey Peter,

nice solution but the knob is to visible (for germany).
Here it would be better to hide the knob and that`s why i miss a cover on this item. And i think the feeling of this plastic surface is also a bit rough and feels generally a bit worse than f.e. leather.

~50 USD ... hmmm...

Could you please post some pictures of the dissasembled knob!? I`d like to soo the inside patern and how the circuit board is held in place.

A code update for the IMAC&C P&P !? ;):D
My unit freezes when it`s cold but comes to live again when the cabin gets warm...!

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Well you could paint the wooden knob black and use a bit of thin black material under the cover (Top part of the 3d printed part) too hide the white joystick mechanism.

You could possibly shrink wrap the stem/knob if you got some big enough and thin enough shrink wrap with a high shrink ratio.

I'll post the joystick code when I have tested it a bit more..
Unless you want to be a tester?

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Pics as requested

Gear Knob pics showing how the IMAC&C PCB mounts into the knob.

I used a small piece of trim tape underneath it. The top also clamps it in place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
...ergonomics...

Hmmmm, to be honest...
This gearknob-setup doesn`t fit my driving style and its not ergonomic for me.
Most of the time I`m using the regen/assist function the car is in 5-th gear and the shifter is to "far" away for me.
I don`t want to say that i`ts not gonna work for anybody! For me it just doesn`t.

I would LOVE to have just a little "box" in wich i could fix the joystick properly because its still hanging lose in the car what i honestly hate.
It looks like something is not finished!

I would fix the "box" at the bottom of the end of the middle consol and that`s it.. There is little space between the end of the consol and the hand brake but for me it would be the perfect place for the knob!
I had a look at a lot but nothing could hold the PCB in place like i wanted it to. I must be a custom job like this gearknob job.
If i`m looking at this printed gearknob and i substract the lower part of the knob itself and imagine just a thin flat underpart and the upper part holding the PCB in place with the two screws, that would be more than enough for my needs...

Maybe you can give us a link to Dan who printed the shiftknob!?

321 - 340 of 375 Posts