Honda Insight Forum banner

341 - 360 of 375 Posts

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
You can fit the joystick in a little box.

Just use lots of sponge behind it to push it forward against the inside to keep it in place.

I'll speak to dan about a printed box option..

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Thanks!

You can fit the joystick in a little box.

Just use lots of sponge behind it to push it forward against the inside to keep it in place.

I'll speak to dan about a printed box option..
It would be worth a try but i`d need a strong/stiff/hard sponge for that. I have some sponaneous ideeas...
A little dark custom made Box, with a 100% fit, would be a nice solution!
Here in germany is better not to "present" this IMAC&C feature so openly to everyone if you know what i mean...:wink:

·
Registered
958 Posts
All kinds of choices

ZE: Go to a jewelry store. They have all kinds of neat high quality boxes in all kinds of colors, sizes and shapes. No need to reinvent the wheel.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Pin wiring diagram for IMAC&C board?

I’m having a hard time figuring it which pins to connect the IMAC&C board to in the MCM.

Is there a diagram somebody has handy?

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Have you watched my YT videos on the installation? check my channel.
I assume you have the schematic.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Have you watched my YT videos on the installation? check my channel.
I assume you have the schematic.
I do not have the schematic. But the YouTube videos are quite sufficient!

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
3D printed Gear Knob IMAC&C P&P Joystick

I have a few of these in stock now.

Specs as per earlier videos and pics..

$50 + postage..

Dan is still working on a micro box to hold the joystick as an alternative. to a small abs box.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
A few weeks with the IMAC&C on the 5-speed gearshift

After spending a few weeks with the prototype 5-speed shift handle IMAC&C joystick mount, i've got some impressions:

- Angle on the shift knob makes quite a difference in how accurately you can operate the joystick. I've got mine twisted on a bit of an angle towards me, rather than the square angle that the stock shift knob was at. I noticed some odd behavior when I unintentionally ended up not moving the joystick straight up/down or left/right (not getting full assist, etc). Getting the handle turned to a comfortable angle and getting used to how straight vs. diagonal movements feel has made this go a lot smoother.
- Sensitivity for left/right on-demand regen/assist is a bit touchy for smaller amounts of assist/regen. To get only 20-30 amps of assist or regen I have to only barely move it. Found a trick to this by just lightly squishing my thumb in between the joystick and the shift knob housing.
- Pulling onto the highway is a delight with the IMAC&C in the shift knob. I've got my hand there anyway and seems quite natural to manually call for assist/regen while rowing through a couple gears to get up to cruising speed. I also don't have to mash the pedal as much.
- Backing into the garage is much nicer to use mostly assist rather than throttle. Seems a lot smoother. Similarly, sometimes I'll manually use assist when starting out in city driving. The IMAC&C control on the shift knob makes this quite natural. In fact, I kind of miss it when I'm driving my Jeep. It'd be really handy off-road!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Sale Plug & Play IMAC&C (MCM+Joystick) $500

For Sale Plug & Play IMAC&C (MCM+Joystick) in great working condition. This is for CVT Only

I bought it for $650 from UK shipped to USA. But I just sold my car. So I removed it for sale.
This is plug & Plug version. So It is very easy to install without any modification to your car. Price is $500 Shipped.

{Below added by Peter (RetepSnikrep)}

Note if someone buys this then I would happily swap the CVT MCM for a manual version for the cost of postage only.
So owners of both CVT and MANUAL cars can consider it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know you're busy with BCM replacer work, Peter (which I am eagerly following). But I do have a request for IMAC&C/OBDIIC&C.

I'm confused reading back in this thread. In this old post from 2015:
the latest software monitors brake pedal operation, the car cancels the P&P IMA and reverts to normal IMA when you press the brake pedal.
But this was not the case with the 020216 slave pcb / joystick direct-to-obdii firmware, which I have been running until yesterday.

And yet mid-2016 you post:
The OBDIIC&C does not monitor the brake light line or regen (other than by measuring current flow) so it would not know when to disengage .. Yikes!!!

Can you suggest any safety interlocks.
At some point, it seems that these safety interlocks were implemented, as my joystick commands are ignored when brake/clutch is depressed, now that I am running OBDIIC&C (with V01N).

I'd like to ask if you could please add flags in the OBDIIC&C to disable these safety interlocks. I had no trouble driving the car with the added control/responsibility of the joystick, but now I'm unable to do things such as heel-and-toe (joystick-and-toe?) shifting, commanding regen when the car doesn't agree to it while braking, rev-matching with the clutch depressed, etc.

While I'm begging, I'd also like to ask for flags to change joystick up/down to immediately turn the engine on/off instead of stepped control, which I rarely use (I just keep the joystick held).

I guess I have a third, less important request: I'd like to be able to set/calibrate the active range and deadzones of the joystick.

I'd be happy to look into making these updates myself if you'd be inclined to share the source code.

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #351 (Edited)
Here you go..

Noted..

If you are now using V01N then Brake/Clutch ignore is probably already implemented.

Go through the scrolling menu until you get to.. "BrakeClutch Skp"
Brake/Clutch Skip Checks is a variable and should be set as follows.

(00=Off) Default behaviour. IMAC&C disengages if you press the Brake or Clutch.
(01=Skip Brake Check)
(02=Skip Clutch Check)
(03=Skip Both Checks)

The core OBDIIC&C code is not in the public domain. Sorry.
However the joystick source code for the two setups is included below.

1) Direct to OBDII port.
2) Via OBDIIC&C Display.

The direct version is more complicated as it has to interpret the joystick data, parse it, and then send valid commands to the Slave pcb in the MCM.
The via OBDIIC&C version just sends raw joystick position and button data to the OBDIIC&C which then parses it, checks flags, etc and finally sends it to the MCM.

If you want to suggest changes in the code to achieve additional functionality (such as your joystick calibration routine which I have never got round too) please do so.
I will consider them for official release/incorporation into the main code.

To compile your own code you will need the picbasic pro program..

https://store.melabs.com/cat/PBP.html

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Noted..

If you are now using V01N then Brake/Clutch ignore is probably already implemented.

Go through the scrolling menu until you get to.. "BrakeClutch Skp"
Brake/Clutch Skip Checks is a variable and should be set as follows.

(00=Off) Default behaviour. IMAC&C disengages if you press the Brake or Clutch.
(01=Skip Brake Check)
(02=Skip Clutch Check)
(03=Skip Both Checks)
That worked great. Guess I missed it in the manual. Thanks!

is there some new code that tries to auto-restart a stalled engine? I'm having a hard time coasting

The core OBDIIC&C code is not in the public domain. Sorry.
However the joystick source code for the two setups is included below.

1) Direct to OBDII port.
2) Via OBDIIC&C Display.

The direct version is more complicated as it has to interpret the joystick data, parse it, and then send valid commands to the Slave pcb in the MCM.
The via OBDIIC&C version just sends raw joystick position and button data to the OBDIIC&C which then parses it, checks flags, etc and finally sends it to the MCM.

If you want to suggest changes in the code to achieve additional functionality (such as your joystick calibration routine which I have never got round too) please do so.
I will consider them for official release/incorporation into the main code.

To compile your own code you will need the picbasic pro program..

https://store.melabs.com/cat/PBP.html
Cool! I'll dig into it this week and we'll see what I come up with. Thankfully picbasic pro has a trial

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
is there some new code that tries to auto-restart a stalled engine? I'm having a hard time coasting.
Please explain the behavior in more detail, video it?
Is the IMAC&C restarting the car or something else?

If it's imac&c then you would likely see an A or S on screen for assist or start cycle.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ah, I was wondering what A/S meant. Will take video when I go out later today.

I think I understand what's happening now. My joystick used to stay lit green after I released from the left, so I think was enjoying some possibly unintended behavior thanks to my joystick getting "stuck" commanding regen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Had a chance to shoot some video. Sorry for the jump cut but I overlaid a second clip where the OBDIIC&C screen was visible.

As you can see, I switched to an OLED display. For anyone building OBDIIC&Cs these days, I would HIGHLY recommend giving OLED a try. Readability is significantly better in both daylight and at night. Even though the brightness is no longer adjustable, it doesn't bother my sensitive eyes. The refresh rate is also better (the characters update faster), not that it really matters.

The OLED does do funny stuff once in a while because of the non-standard timings. But these issues are very rare (the total corruption only happened once ever), and the out-of-order rows are also very uncommon and easily fixed by pressing Up to restart.

Reminds me of the Nvidia RTX artifacting issue lol (shown at 2 minute mark)
[ame]https://youtu.be/JIRfPlC15uc?t=120[/ame]

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
I can only see regen being applied on the video to stop the engine.

Is IMAC&C restarting the engine with the IMA or is the OEM ECM doing it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I can only see regen being applied on the video to stop the engine.

Is IMAC&C restarting the engine with the IMA or is the OEM ECM doing it?
Sorry to have disappeared so long. Busy at work.

I believe the ECM is restarting the engine, and not IMAC&C.

I usually stop the car by holding left on the joystick until my speed/rpms are too low for the gas engine, then I press the clutch in and let go of the joystick. While doing this, I try to avoid the mechanical brakes to maximize energy recovery, blending mechanical/regenerative braking as necessary for the situation.

Here's my assumption:
With the old software (020216 direct to obd port), when I released the joystick, the green light stayed lit. This was presumably caused by a minor deadzone/zeroing/calibration issue, which would cause the joystick to still command some negligible amount of regen. In turn, this prevented the MCM slave board from returning to OEM mode, which prevented the ECM from being able to restart the gasoline engine.

In effect, IMAC&C being stuck commanding regen prevented the car from exiting autostop when I released the brake/clutch. This is fine when coasting, but the dilemma comes when you shift back into first and the engine doesn't restart. This wasn't a problem for me because I manually command regen every time I start from a stop, but this would probably be unacceptable for general release, similar to a stock Insight requiring you to turn the key in order to exit auto stop every time.

Personally I do want to prevent the engine from idling needlessly, so I prefer the unintentional "stuck" regen I experienced with the old software, and my habit of always using IMAC&C to command assist in 1st gear means I never experience issues with the engine not restarting when shifting to first.

My assumption is that the center deadzone is larger in V01N than it was in 020216. This is better for 99% of people, but I liked the side-effect of incorrect calibration that I was experiencing before that.

Anyway, the calibration code I am working on would work do the same thing, where the OEM autostop algorithm will work as intended. Will have to think of some clever way to disable auto-restart (maybe a flag to purposely shift the regen range into the joystick's deadzone slightly).

Will try and draw some pictures later.

Ah yes yes, this is the thread I'm looking for.

I'll start reading and catching up
IMAC&C has completely changed my way of driving, especially with my hilly commute and low speed parking lot driving. Since installing IMAC&C a few weeks ago, my mpgs have increased from 65mpg (before IMAC&C) to 70mpg (last fillup), and I'm currently at 75.2mpg with 500 miles driven so far on my current tank. Can't recommend it enough.

·
Administrator
11,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
With the current via V01N OBDIIC&C code the first click down on the joystick puts the IMAC&C into neutral mode (minimal regen mode) where it is in control and commanding a tiny bit of regen. That stays active until cancelled by another joystick movement.

This is probably what you want to prevent the ecm restarting the engine as you have discovered with the stuck dead zone on your older setup.

Have you thoroughly read the manuals for both OBDIIC&C and IMAC&C?
I'm sure all this documented in them.. If not let me know..

·
Registered
489 Posts
I do think what you've explained is in one of the IMAC&C docs.

The problem is that if I kill the engine by holding left (my preferred method, as I can vary regen based on the situation then go full left and clutch down when rpm gets too low) or by holding down and releasing (I almost never do this because I'm busy commanding regen) the ecm will usually restart the engine too quickly for me to tap down on the joystick to get into N mode in time.

When the situation permits, I can also rapidly click down several times to command strong enough regen to kill the engine and then it will for sure stay off.

341 - 360 of 375 Posts