Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
salty1 said:
To clarify and simply, when I get into my car and it is cold, outside, is there any advantage re:mpg after engine warms up to setting Econ on AC Off and then setting heat to desired temperature... <snip>
AFAIK that is the "highest" MPG setting option for heat with _no_ potential additional A/C compressor on "drag".

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Unless you push the ECON button twice and see the message AC off, you will likely be running the AC compressor. Unless I actually need AC I always drive with it off, as this really helps mileage. You can feel the difference in drag when the compressor is turned on and off. :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The heater fan also runs slower when you're in ECON mode than in AUTO mode.

Since the temperature setting control still works (although it doesn't display) even with the rest of the system off, what I do in the morning is set the temperature control up a ways and then turn off the system. Enough warm air is forced through the system to warm up the car, although gradually.

Also, Auto-stop will work at a lower ambient temperature when the system is OFF than when the system is in any of the on positions, even ECON. If it's really cold and I decide to use the heater, I push the OFF button when approaching a red light, which allows auto-stop to engage, and then when stopped I turn the heater back on. It stays in auto-stop.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Agreed, the lowest possible current drain is with the system off.

You can achieve virtually the same result by pressing ECON twice to shut off the AC, then and only then, hitting the fan button once to set it to the lowest speed.

Less likely to freeze off important body parts. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for all the responses;they all seem to be about the same, but I want to be sure I understand, so lets take an example:
I get into my car one morning;lets say temperauyre is 40 and I want some heat;I am going to drive for 5 miles or so with maybe two traffiic lights along the way.
Someone please tell me everything I need to do re: cpntrols from the time I get into my car before engine warms up until I reach my destination to get heat while at same time getting maximum mpg.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
salty1 said:
Someone please tell me everything I need to do re: cpntrols from the time I get into my car before engine warms up until I reach my destination to get heat while at same time getting maximum mpg.
Thanks
HUH :!: :?: :?

I thought we just did. But for a total trip of 5 miles in the weather you describe there will be little or no heat the first mile. And with any heat (cabin variety) that you demand for such a short trip the MPG's will suffer the consequence.

You need the hot air mod, cardboard trick, _and_ a plug-in electric engine block heater to try and help compensate for the driving conditions should you expect any MPG improvement over your current levels.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Use a block heater for an hour or two before leaving and the rad block as John suggested. Keep the system OFF using the Off button until you see "normal" temp on the guage, then press the ECON button twice and the fan button once.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts