Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still on my quest. I've actually put in an order for a new 2004. Only two have been delivered to California and both were spoken for. Whereas my initial internet price quote requests all came back with a price and contact info, now they just come back saying the Insight is a very popular car and there are none left in stock. What a bunch of !*@!heads. They're not even ordering them. They're really pushing the Hybrid Civic though. I drove one and it was a big yawn. Just thought someone might be interested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
try a credit union

My credit union got together with other cu's and started an e-auto dealership. Because this entity purchases a lot of cars every quarter it has significant purchasing power. Maybe you could join a CU that does something similar.

Mine is http://www.cuauto.com

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hang tough for that 2004. If there are fewer sold it will ultimately be a more desirable car. Contrary to common logic I actually decided to buy my 2002 because I believed there would not be a 2003 model. I have never enjoyed a vehicle as much and wouldn't trade it for anything except a 2004 Insight. :D

Kip

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's a pain

Hi all. It is a bit of a pain.. it took me a long time to locate a Insight... I did manage to locate a few... but now a days I hardly think any of the dealers would carry any 2004 Insights as its not a good seller.

Yeah they will push the Civic Hybrid... but I think the new prius is the better of the two cars... so why by the civic if you get more car for your money with the Prius... our car still has the best gas mileage but that 4 door Prius sure is getting close.... the electric engine in that car is very powerful... I wish the electric engine in our was stronger than it is.... and I'll never figure out why they didn't sue Lithion Ion batteries instead of the cheap hydride batteries... they last longer and have more power...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think that title of this thread is wrong. It should be something like "It's so unpopular with dealers, you can't find one on a lot." The fact is that Insights are not selling well, New insights sit on the dealers lots for months drawing lots of lookers, but very few buyers. While the average Civic hybrid or CRX sits on a lot less than 2 weeks before someone buys it. And dealers pay interest on a car while it sits unsold on the lot.

Most dealers will be more than happy it order one for you if you put down a large non-refundable deposit. They'll probably make you a real good deal, too.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"I'll never figure out why they didn't sue Lithion Ion batteries instead of the cheap hydride batteries..."

Maybe they didn't want to lose even more money on sales than they do anyway :) Which maybe explains why it might be hard to get your dealer to order one, you know. They have to sell some so Honda can get the good press and so on for having the best mpg, but why would they want to sell more than some minimum number when they're taking a loss on each one?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Lithium Ion batteries are a lot more expensive, and require a much more complicated battery monitoring system (otherwise things get dangerous). Wait a few years until the semiconductor manufacturers have produced enough one chip charing solutions...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since my 02 was totalled last month I've tried to get an 04. It won't be here till the end of Feb. and NO great deal. It will cost me $20,700 and I paid less than $14,000 for my 02 in August.
I'm buying a Prius.
Rick

G

·
0 Posts
Hi RickM:

___There are some articles appearing in print discussing the Prius not getting anywhere near its EPA estimates followed up by comments by some Toyota folks stating the same. Some of these articles contents were posted in the Edmunds – Prius – 2004 + forums but have since been removed? Not that it would stop anyone from purchasing a Prius given it is a really advanced 5 passenger Hybrid but make sure you go in with your eyes open is all ... It will kill a HCH in just about any measure including price but just make sure you know about its quirks before purchase is all. As it stands, 44 + #’s in the Integrity’s, Mobil1 synthetic, cruise with load instead of speed should all work to get you into the mid 50’s or higher hopefully. It looks futuristically cool as well ;)

___On another note, what did the insurance company do for you once they totaled it? Did they offer you TIV or used Retail? If I ever do pick up an Insight (I actually won an E-Bay auction this month but didn’t meet the reserve :(), it will be used and I won’t carry collision. If someone else creams me, how does one get reimbursed for a totaled automobile? That is if one survives the crash? I remember your story and am just glad it wasn’t a second later for your daughter’s sake. She is still doing well, right? Has she been behind the wheel since?

___Good Luck and enjoy your new Prius. It is a great Hybrid automobile in comparison to the CVT or HCH for sure and should be even safer with side impact and curtains for protection if you opt for them. I would. And finally, an almost guaranteed 5 Star all around won’t hurt either.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2ndm33f8][email protected][/email:2ndm33f8]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wayne,
My daughter is driving and more carefully (I hope). She is fine, thanks.
I took the Prius out for an extended test drive today (about 80 miles). What is really neat is the gas motor shuts off whenever it isn't needed, provided the battery has a good charge. The air conditioning is electric and it is VERY innovative. I got 58 mpg driving easy, my Insight would have been in the high 60's (cvt).
What isn't neet is there seems to be no or minnimal regenerative braking and the motor charges the batteries at odd times. After spending 15,000 miles in the Insight in less than 3 months I liked the seat better than the Toyota. The Prius rides better but the Insight FEELS better. The instrimation is way too silly and there is a flat screen to control a lot of things - you HAVE to look at it touchy feely doesn't work. It is in the middle of the console. If the law doesn't want you to talk on your handheld while driving they should take one of these for a ride.
And you thought your Insight was noisy. This motor sounds like a heavy lawn mower IN the dash.
I really wanted another Insight (5-speed), but I don't buy used (I hate to trust other people with my things) and I don't want to pay $20,000+ for a car I bought three months ago for less than $14,000. The Toyota people are jerks and the Honda people are great. I hate giving money to idiots.
As far as insurance goes, they had a really hard time coming up with a value for the car. In this state they have to give you actual cash value, they get it from sales in your area of like vehicles. Our county has few people and no Insights. They came back with a value of $15,690. I told them that I felt it was $2,000. too low and would like to go to arbitration. They (and I) don't want that so they are going to give me another offer.
Never take the first offer.
Still looking for a five speed Insight before commiting to the Toy.
I did have them order me one it won't be in til Feb. I don't have to take it they love getting messed with. ( Contrary to what the dealers tell you they have to return the depost if you decide not to buy).
Thanks for letting me rant,
Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Car unavailable

Even in 2003 the Insights were hard to get in a 5-speed, at least in the east. Dealer searches in 6 states (PA,NY,MD,NJ,VA,DE) turned up only two 5-speed Insights--one in Rochester NY and the other in Towson MD. The one in Rochester didn't have air--but the dealer was able to install the factory air after the fact--so I drove to Rochester to get it. Actually, I used to live in Rochester--so I appreciated the opportunity to support their ailing economy. But I'm thankful I didn't opt for waiting to order a 2004--it looks like I would still be waiting rather than happily driving my 2003.

When I decided to look for a hybrid, I looked at the Prius and wasn't really impressed. I couldn't stand the dash layout--the interior design was annoying--and didn't like the fact that a CVT was the only transmission option. I've primarily owned German cars (BMW/Audi) and prefer their serious, no-nonsense approach--a feature that I very much appreciate in the Insight-- no fancy graphics and design, just good, functional engineering. Plus-- I must have a manual transmission--after almost 30 years of driving manuals I'm not about to switch now.

Personally, I don't understand why the Insights aren't more popular, based on the looks and comments I get about mine. But I guess most folks aren't able to embrace a 2-seater sporty car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts