Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have driven a 2000 5 speed lave red Insight recently near Vancouver. It's got 91,000 km only, and is a BC/Canada car, so still has some emissions warranty (for the cat I suppose), and the 10 yr 240 km IMA warranty.

The test drive was a bit disappointing - the fuel economy showed me doing a 5.2 L/100 km, or 45 mpg US. Not so hot. Sure, I have no idea how to drive it, neither did the (at least) second owner.

I'm not sure who there is on this forum near Vancouver, but I'd sure like to see another car driven properly.

It is possible that I will trade my 2005 diesel smart for the Insight, plus I would get the balance in cash. The Insight is priced at $10,900 CAD.

Looking for some advice/input

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Hi - I have a 2001 red 5 speed manual which I bought early last year with only about 6,000km on it (it was a long time demonstrator mostly driven by one of principals at the dealer I bought it from). When I purchased it had a lifetime fe of 5 l/100km. I have now done about 23,000 km and have a lifetime fe of 3.9l/100km. My longterm average fe is 3.3l/100km and am current tank is 3.2l/100km (warmer weather improves fe until a/c is regularly required).

There are plenty of fe tips around Insight Central - my advice is don't drive fast and find lean burn and stick with it as often as you can.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi enthusiast42; On Saturday, July 29th, I displayed my 2005 Red Insight in downtown Vancouver at the big Yaletown car show. Were you there? Anyway, you can easily learn to achieve high fuel economy by the way you drive. Just by following all the tips on this website, and with lots of practice, you can get about 2.4 L / 100km with highway driving. If you can confirm the car is in great shape and can get a good deal, go for it!
It's a fantastic vehicle...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Besides all the techniques described on this web forum make sure the tires are pumped up to 40 or even 45 psi.
Mechanics usually inflate the tires to only 32 psi but that's not enough for the Insight because the door label recommends 38/35 psi front/rear.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I run my tires at 43 psi front and 41 psi rear

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got some more 'insight' from Ian, a Honda salesman who drives, get this, a 2000 5 speed red Insight - like the one I drove. Heck the VIN #'s may be consecutive...

Anyway, I went and drove the other car again, and managed a 3.0 L/100km on the freeway without too much effort, cruising at 90ish kmh (60 mph)

Also noted was the battery charge indicating full (last time I saw it it was half) - so that works, and also, the owners previous 570 km showed a 4.1 overall.

So............ ????

I liked the window tinting that Ian had on his car - the hatch and rear windows looked great. I would pass on doing the driver and passenger side windows myself. The custom covered interior and door panels was a nice touch as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's basically a carfax and dealer check-up away from purchase, provided the smart sells. The 10 yr / 240,000 km IMA warranty is a bonus, with over three years left.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just out of curiosity why are you selling the SMART?
It can get good milage and is quite an interesting car
in it's own right.
P.S. I am not trying to start a discussion on which is better
an Insight or the SMART.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it IS a great car, the smart. But I am bored perhaps? The Insight appears to be able to get better mileage at higher speeds, which is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts