Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After countless visits to DIFFERENT honda dealerships finaly someone has givin helped me with the engine is so shaky, and not suprisingly it was not a dealer but a local mechanic

The main drive belt off the engine is worn bad, and is missing some "teeth" so for those of you with shaky engines that the EGR valve fix wont help, look into the drive belts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
And exactly how did they prove that this was causing the engine to "shake"? All the drive belt does is is run the water pump and A/C compressor. I also just checked my car, and the belt is a standard non-toothed serpentine belt...

Has anyone ever checked the engine and transmission mounts? And how do you qualify "shaking"? Every Insight I have ever seen/worked on has had a large amount of engine vibration at idle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he engine mmounts were checked, one was replaced 20,000 km ago

As the belt moved, as soon as it would hit the section of the belt with no teeth it would cause the engine to shudder. JJust try visualizing it

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There are no teeth on the belt. I would be more inclined to check the idler pully for damage, but I still can't imagine how that would cause the engine to shudder. Can you take a picture of this damaged belt?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Ah, methinks he is talking about grooves in the belt. :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have the belt, The mechanic does

All I know, is that the belt was really damaged, now that it is replaced the engine is not shuddering anymore, Like it was shuddering enough that it has wrecked a couple ground straps as well.

Everything looks good now tho

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't the wrecked ground straps causing the shuddering? That sounds far more likely then a bad belt. I've seen some truly horrific belts, and none of them have caused "shuddering".

But I am glad that it's fixed...

·
Registered
242 Posts
ground straps/engine shudder

Getshocked.ca said:
I dont have the belt, The mechanic does

All I know, is that the belt was really damaged, now that it is replaced the engine is not shuddering anymore, Like it was shuddering enough that it has wrecked a couple ground straps as well.

Everything looks good now tho
The ground straps fall apart by themselves - they must have used some inferior grade of copper, and probably didn't make them quite long enough to handle the vibrations. I replace mine with some custom made battery cables.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
There are no teeth on the belt. I would be more inclined to check the idler pully for damage, but I still can't imagine how that would cause the engine to shudder. Can you take a picture of this damaged belt?
Aaron - it's a grooved belt, if the high, or inverted V parts of the belt break off, I think on an engine as small and light as the Insight's, you would get some shuddering. ---VVVV--- Think of the top part of the V's breaking off - above the lines on either side. This can occur with a badly worn belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts