Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I noticed an unusual thing that happened to my Scanguage II. I turned on the car and the SGII was dead, as in no data or backlight. This has never happened to me before. Screen has always light up upon turning the engine, showing data from last shut-off for a few seconds before "refreshing" the screen to show current data.

I thought for a few seconds...made sure the cable connection was secure on the back of the SGII, and it was. Then I decided to press the HOME button. The SGII came on, showing data from last shut-off briefly before showing current data. All good.

But should I be concerned? I consulted the manual when I got home, and a possible culprit is a blown (car) fuse, but if that were the case, then wouldn't the SGII not power up at all after pressing the HOME button? I checked to see if the SGII reset my settings, but it looks like my settings were not changed to factory default.

Is this a sypmtom of the SGII crapping out, or something with the Insight's computer/power source? Has this happened to anyone before?

On a side note, it seems to be a common thing to have the SGII's mpg reading not match up with the Insight's FCD readings--or at least there seems to be a delay from the SGII.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If you have your SCII permanently hooked up -- as I do -- you may notice from time to time the gauge remains ON after you turn the car off. I've come back the following morning and found the gauge glowing in the dark garage. It's nowhere near enough of a current draw to deplete your battery, it's just... weird. Start up the car, gauge stays on; turn the car off, the gauge resets itself, like a good gauge, and turns off after a few seconds. ;)

By the same token, I've entered the vehicle, started up the car, and looked up to notice the gauge is OFF. A simple press of the lower right-hand button returns the gauge to operation, and everything goes on as before. :confused:

I've learned not to worry about it (only happens once in a great while) and to do the manual reset as needed... :D

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
You checked the connections, but have you tried to unplug it, hit the home button and then plug it back in? It might need a bit of a reboot. You may have already tried this though. Do you have another car to try it on?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Mines does the same. The best part is that it remains on in autostop. Sometimes its delayed in turning on, it turns on with previous data or it remains lit even after exiting my vehicle.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Boogety, yeah, I have my SGII permentently plugged in but have not experienced your problem in which the SG stays on after shut-off. Mine will stay on for a few seconds and then blink off after car has been turned off.

MN Driver, I was wondering what unplugging and then pressing the HOME button will do as far as rebooting the device? Will it erase all my settings and bring it back to factory default setting? Won't unplugging it make pressing HOME non-operational since there is no power draw?

Cobb, the SGII should still be "on" when your car is in auto-stop. When I first got my SGII, it would shut off when I was in AS, and it was annoying--on-off-on-off...with each stop and go. I read the manual and it turned out I didn't set the SGII for HYBRID. So it's normal to have the SGII powered when you're in AS. The SGII will stay on for a few seconds before going blank (OFF/sleep mode) when you turn off the car.

edit to add: Can anyone confirm if locking the car via remote will momentarily turn on the SGII. Today I thought I noticed my SG turn on as I locked the door. Never noticed this, as I don't lock the door at night and don't see the screen glow. This was just this morning when I must have accidently locked the car using my remote and I peered inside the car to see if the doors were indeed locked. That's when I nocticed the SGII on because of the text on the screen.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
The home button suggestion was for if it was in a standby state to try to get it to turn on if there was a capacitor in it that might hold enough power to keep it active. The device likely has NVRAM so nothing would be lost. This is probably not necessary but I usually do it with electronics and many, even with a battery removed will flash on for a moment. If you've unplugged it and plugged it back in already, I'm sure the same thing was already done.

Mine also turns on when locking/unlocking the car with the remote, this was discussed at Green Drive Expo/HybridFest between a few of us last year and I think its been mentioned a few times here. I've also had mine stay on or randomly be on when I walk up to the car in the garage(unlocked already).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread, all of a sudden my Scanguage II is dead, after maybe half a dozen years or more. Manual says check fuse; I have no idea where that would be or what to look for in the fuse box. Connection is fine.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
634 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread, all of a sudden my Scanguage II is dead, after maybe half a dozen years or more. Manual says check fuse; I have no idea where that would be or what to look for in the fuse box. Connection is fine.
Does it work when plugged in to another car? Have you contacted Scangauge's support center? scangauge.com/about/contact-us

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts