Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the noob question. I don't have an Insight, but I did read the forums somewhat.

If I were to purchase an old Insight and the batteries failed, would it be possible to throw a breaker (or something) and run indefinately like that? Would the 12 v battery get charged? Would I be throwing CEL's, and therefore, in NY, not be able to get my car inspected?

Thanks for any "Insights".

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sure, you could do it. I know civil engineer who did body work on his 50s "compact" with reinforced concrete, a can of Tremclad and a roller. In his case it worked out well when his car was rear ended. The other car was totalled and his old junker didn't even bend. :shock:

Eventually someone will try it but with second hand battery packs reasonably priced, you would have to be really hard up for cash to want to go that route. If you drive the Insight for a while you will save the cost of the second hand pack quickly.

The pack is there to capture free braking energy, so it really is not just an appendics you can cut off with no repercussions. Also because the gearing is too high for the three cylinder engine without the low end torque of the electric motor, you will probably shorten the life of the clutch, if you drive in stop and start traffic.

In Ontario the Insight is exempt from emissions testing as of this year.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
<snip>

If you want to know what driving around like that would feel like just pull out one of the spark plugs on your car and drive around for a while. I drove an accord around for a few weeks on two cylinders when some kids rewired my distributer as a halloween prank. :shock: If you drive the Insight for a while you will save the cost of the second hand pack quickly.

<snip>
Replied as just a precaution,

Running any CAT equipped car with a cylinder down will overload the CAT and will shortly lead to CAT meltdown :!: Depending on the specifics FIRE is a unusual possibility in such scenarios :!:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
:oops: Sorry about making that suggestion even if it was not intended to be taken seriously. The car I referred to was an 84 Accord. If it did have a cat it was probably poisoned by the time the prank happened. Thanks. (Post edited)

·
Registered
466 Posts
i run mine all the time without nicads. however, nickle-metal-hydrides.....well, thats a whole 'nuther story!

;)

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
hey, no problem! :) somebody had to say it! :) (just pullin' your string a bit...

andy g.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
:oops: Sorry about making that suggestion even if it was not intended to be taken seriously.

<snip>
I understood your suggestion was as an "example" *only*. But someone not as familiar with the situation may have not. Hence my reply of, "Posted as a precaution only".

And yes, a "dead" CAT will be difficult if not impossible to overload and melt down.
For anyone else reading and questioning this statement, since a "dead" CAT will not be catalyzing the exhaust which is an exothermic reaction (gives off heat) overloading will have little or no effect in increasing it's heat output to the meltdown point.

p.s. No apology needed Kip :!: :)

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts