Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over one week post new Battery control module, motor control module and IMA pack in my 2000 5speed with 115,000 miles

I initially noticed a drop in my mileage from 48 to 46mgp in the day or two following the change. Also the battery promptly went from a full charge to about a quarter soon after leaving the dealership.

Decided to do some maintenance. I checked my tire pressure and inflated my non OEM ties to 45 psi. The max on the tires is listed at 35 psi.

I put a bottle of Chevron system cleaner in the gas tank.

I bought a can of carburetor cleaner and plan to clean my EGR this weekend. I will also use WD40 as was suggested. I went back to review the boards to find where the least expensive parts places are on the web, but am having a tough time finding the posts. Can someone refer me? I think I had the EGR replaced under warrantee back at 34,000 miles. I’m at 115,000 now. I will probably need a gasket. If the clean does not help, I’ll replace it.

I have noticed an increase in mileage now to about 53-54 one week out, but I’m really trying. It is not like when I first got the car and 65-70mpg was easy. I long for those days. I’m doing the same 95 mile no traffic drive to work and 95 miles home.

It is hot and humid here in GA now, around 90’s. I have noticed that since I had the three new parts, the car has been in continuous forced charge, lights on or off (no headlights problem, I’m using high beams until my dealer gets in the recall parts for the lights off problem). My foot comes off the accelerator and there are those 4-5 bars of charging. I have yet to see a fully charged IMA, although once I have come close.
It is certainly better than before the new parts when I was basically driving a 3 cylinder car, but not the elation I was expecting. I am wondering if this is secondary to the battery temperature and weather at this time of year. However, my best mileage has in the past been during the Summer with the AC on. Also the system now has a propensity to assist me, all the time. Before the change, forced charge was only after full drainage and only up to about a quarter of full charge. Regenerative braking seemed to be primarily responsible for recharging the battery. Now regenerative braking doesn’t have the same effect and the constant forced charge takes forever to have an effect.

Can I assume the O2 sensors are good if the check engine light is off? Had them replaced at about 30,000.

I noticed that if I sit forward in my seat while climbing hills, hugging the wheel, I seem to go faster and get much better mileage. I find the same by reclining with my arms fully extended and head planted in the seat when going down hill. I plan to see if this also works while driving with a passenger if they do the same. I also have a theory that if both the passenger and I extend an arm out our respective windows during lean burn cruise and attempt a symmetrical flapping motion, I can possibly attain my old 65-70 mpg numbers. I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
stompper3 said:
I noticed that if I sit forward in my seat while climbing hills, hugging the wheel, I seem to go faster and get much better mileage. I find the same by reclining with my arms fully extended and head planted in the seat when going down hill. I plan to see if this also works while driving with a passenger if they do the same. I also have a theory that if both the passenger and I extend an arm out our respective windows during lean burn cruise and attempt a symmetrical flapping motion, I can possibly attain my old 65-70 mpg numbers. I’ll let you know.
I can't wait for a fellow Insighter (noobie) to read this paragrah and start asking exactly how the seating position is up and down hill. And exactly how do you need to flap your arms! :p :p :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flapping

Commuter, trust me, I have the answers if one asks. :D

In addition I do have an Update:
I have been able to find no one with enough cojones to keep flapping long enough, especially in traffic, to get a statistically significant answer for mpg increase. Seems I’m always left flapping on my side whilst trying to justify to my passenger and coax my passenger into continuing. What happens, I suspect, is that the car is thrown radically out of balance as soon as the passenger stops and I unknowingly continue flapping on my side. I found this to be quite dangerous and would caution keeping both hands on the steering wheel while doing this. Also, interestingly, this one sided insight flapping maneuver seems to result in a significant drop in mpg if one continues, meaning it wont work solo. The other significant problem I have noticed of course, is a tremendous amount of arm fatigue. I’m considering hooking up a cable from the IMA to my rear side and adding an “ACM” for assistance.
BTW, did you ever realize it is hard to flap and talk at the same time?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Similar

Similar to your experience, my 2000 died the day after I took it home. The entire IMA can was replaced out of an '04 donor car, and the performance is now a copy of yours. Way more assist, hard to get and keep a 'full charge', 4 bars of charging after the SOC gets down to 1/2. But at least it's working great for now.
Also replaced the EGR valve, adjusted the valves, changed the plugs and put in a K&N air filter at my 105,000 self-done maintence interval. Runs rite good, now. :)

Hey, does that there flappin' thing work better with a tail wind? How 'bout tyin' on a squirrel tail to th' antenna for wind direction findin'? :lol:

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
After my battery got replaced, I started opening the drivers door and sticking my foot our to peddle along the road to keep the car moving. This seems to help keep it coasting in Auto-Idle stop a lot longer. Maybe I should try to find a passenger willing to do the same on his side?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Giddy Yapp

I spanked this pony! Well, it is really not a pony. Its more like one of those little miniature horses only kids can ride. Anyway, Atlanta to Columbus Georgia, about 100 miles at 68 mpg.
I'm back in the saddle again!
It was great. I was being passed left and right. Trucks were pulling to the right to douse me with gravel to get off their butts. I was bucking like a bronco all the way. New Jersey waves from just about everyone. Hell, the minimum speed was 40 and I was at least 15mph over this, just a little under the 80 everyone else was traveling.
Heck, I was so empowered, I got up this morning and yanked open the hood and worked like I knew what I was doing. "Ain't never seen a foreign transmission before."
Much thanks to the posts on cleaning the EGR! The gasket that was there looked as good as new. Have Carb Cleaner and WD40 will clean! I wiped it like it was a baby. Tonight, I try to get it back together for my ride tomorrow. Do you think it will matter if I lost a bolt or two in the engine?
Sorry about the nutty post. I think I sniffed too much carb cleaner. Wife came into the garage at about the time I was finishing and said, "A little fumy in here honey, don't you think you should at least crack the door?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.