Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the board, but I believe I know a couple peeps on here already...

Anyway, my sister is looking to replace her Festiva with a high mileage (280 000 km or ~175 000 miles) 2000 Insight 5-speed at a very good price. She's sent me out to do some digging and see how these cars hold up over that kind of life.

Seeing that neither I nor she have any experience with hybrids at all, I'm wondering about the electrical system. Do "battery memory" effects exist for this car? How much would a replacement of all the batteries run if they've worn down?

Is there anything specifically that becomes problematic on these cars with that kind of mileage?

Anyway, any input is appreciated. I've had more than my share of high-mileage cars (current driver is a '90 Celica with 325 000 km) and we're not afraid of having to do standard maintanence stuff, but would prefer to avoid having to sink thousands into the thing right off the bat.

Thanks!

- Jay

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Jay200MPH and welcome to the forums :!: :)

Jay200MPH said:
...we're not afraid of having to do standard maintanence stuff, but would prefer to avoid having to sink thousands into the thing right off the bat.
Thats the "problem" with _any_ hybrid. The remaining service life of the IMA batteries. If your an advanced "shade tree" mechanic (and understand the risks and consequences of an oops :oops: ) then replacing the IMA pack is a DIY job, around $2500 for the batteries alone. Add another $2,000 if you need the updated controllers. But they should be optional, better control logic for longer IMA battery life.

Search the forums for more detailed answers to your questions, there are many threads on this topic.

HTH! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, how long would an original battery pack last? Is there any way to test approx how much life is remaining easily? (My handheld multimeter WILL read to 144 volts, but I'll bet the wattage would fry it!)

BTW the car is for sale for six grand. Don't know if this is a good deal or not but it's actually the first one I've seen under ten that wasn't written off or damaged beyond repair.

- J

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
How long will it last :?: Too many variables to accurately predict. :|

Testing :?: Sorry no there's not. A simple voltage "test" will reveal essentially nothing in regard to its remaining service life.

6K$ + 2.5K for the pack (when needed) still = a pretty good buy should all other body and mechanical wear be normal for the miles.

Insightful Trekker said:
Search the forums for more detailed answers to your questions, there are many threads on this topic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts