Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5spd, red, 336,100mi
3 Posts
$100 Visa card by mail. Didn’t dive too deep, but deal includes “The Potenza Family”

Edit: sorry. looks like $100 mail rebate

I always purchase my replacement Potenza tires from Discount Tire, or if I am out west I purchase from their west coast name: America's Tire. I have noticed that this tire store chain always has 2 to 4 sales each year and I have usually been able to combine a sales price with this type of rebate or VISA card offer. Watch for their sales around the holidays like Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc. I especially like this chain because they have over 1,000 stores across the country and after your buy a set of tires, then you get free tire rotations and, if needed, free re-balancing. I've bought new tires, or had mine re-balanced, from these guys all over the county: Indio CA, Stillwater MN, Murfreesboro TN, Winter Haven FL, etc.
I've driven my Insight from St. Paul MN to McAllen TX, from Orlando to Covina CA (so KLR3CYL could service the 5spd tranny), and many other places like San Diego, Connecticut, and Palm Springs CA. I need a dependable tire store chain.
It sure is wonderful to know that there are over 1,000 Discount Tire/America's Tire stores around the country and that they are all computer linked so any of them can pull up my account records by my phone number and that alone saves a bunch of time on the front end of each visit because I don't have to give them any information for them to input before they start on the reason I came in that day. Saves 10-20 minutes no matter what state I am in when I stop in their store.
I have always found their prices very competitive and I feel in good hands knowing that they are coast-to-coast.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
^ Spoken like a true "hiredman"... I've used Discount/America's a lot over the years, too. Maybe 1 complaint over the at least dozen or so purchases, don't remember what the issue was. They've always been pretty solid. Good deals, typically flexible with prices.

edit: hey, that's pretty 'weird': I just looked up Potenzas at that link, and they're listed at $112 each and up. I was just looking at these a few days ago, and the price was listed as $80! So, what?, they marked them up $32 each, or $128 for a set, and now offer a $100 rebate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Screenshot 2021-07-23 162325.png
^ Spoken like a true "hiredman"... I've used Discount/America's a lot over the years, too. Maybe 1 complaint over the at least dozen or so purchases, don't remember what the issue was. They've always been pretty solid. Good deals, typically flexible with prices.

edit: hey, that's pretty 'weird': I just looked up Potenzas at that link, and they're listed at $112 each and up. I was just looking at these a few days ago, and the price was listed as $80! So, what?, they marked them up $32 each, or $128 for a set, and now offer a $100 rebate?
I just logged into my account at Discount Tire: at first they quoted these Potenza tires at $104/ea but I noticed that because I use a VPN and I was using a server in Salt Lake, they were quoting me a price for that area. So, I changed my store to the one located nearest to me in FL and then the price changed to $92/ea. Perhaps a few days ago you were somehow looking at a different store location. Maybe if you have other stores located within a reasonable distance, you could change your store shopping location and then get prices for each store. Or, if you live by a border, then try checking out the price across the border.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
^ hmm, interesting. I just went to their website again and made sure it was set to 'my' local store, and the price shows up as $81.

So, it looks like the price would be $423 out the door, and then there's a mail-in rebate, the -$100. I just walked through most of the Bridgestone online rebate form. You fill out some stuff and submit an image of the invoice, and I guess they'll send you a $100 Visa prepaid card via mail...

I actually might have to finally do this. I have like 100,000 miles (95,085, 9 years and 6 days) on my RE92s, I've been pushing them as far as they'll go...

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight CVT
10 Posts
Costco has a decent deal as well if you have a membership. The savings are instant. It does expire on Sunday 07/25 however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
to eq1...
Do you have a Costco near you in Canada? If so, if I were you I would see if that Costco sale is available today for you there, and if it is, then I would call Discount Tire and see if Discount Tire will price match. If yes, then instead of $423 out the door, maybe you could get a better deal with the Costco price, which might be $387.44US out the door and you'd still get the $100 rebate on top of that. (sorry, I'm not sure what the $387US would be in Canada so maybe this isn't a better deal after all) Good luck!
Just remember, if the Costco deal is the same for you there and expires tomorrow, DT is closed on Sundays so you would need to make the deal and payment today because DT likely will need to order the tires and I've had them give me sale deals on the last day even when they didn't have the tires in stock but would get the tires delivered to them during the following week.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
^ Well, if the price being matched were the $387 - and then I was able to get the $100 rebate by mail on top of that - that'd be the better deal. But my guess is they'd probably balk at the discounted price and instead use $487... $323 vs. perhaps $287, not too much of a difference, I can live with that. $323 is a good deal, I think I paid around $380 10 years ago.

·
Registered
120 Posts
...I actually might have to finally do this. I have like 100,000 miles (95,085, 9 years and 6 days) on my RE92s, I've been pushing them as far as they'll go...
Dare to dream - if I get 25,000-30,000 miles out of a set I am lucky. I've pretty much thrown in the towel in regards to the Potenzas - they're overpriced and under-treaded for my use. In their place I run Nokian Nordmen 7 winter tires year round now. I can usually get twice the tread life at 2/3rds the cost with a small hit to fuel economy. The icing on the cake is that they can handle torrential rain and deep snow, which I encounter regularly, and which are pretty much kryptonite to the Bridgestone Potenzas.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
^ Yeah, the roads must be pretty smooth around here, or something. Plus, I'm definitely taking them to a wear level that most people would consider unsafe. If I'm careful I don't think they are, though. I try not to drive in the rain, and if I do or hit wet pavement I slow down, I won't go over about ...50 mph. The tires are designed to wear on the shoulders first, leaving a few 1/8 of an inch leftover in the middle. That seems to continue to function to some degree... I don't know, I was going to replace them a while ago, based on my normal standards, but then I just decided to slow down in wet.

My guess is there's still plenty of 'rubber' left, even when the shoulders are bald, to resist a blow-out due to weakness, provided you don't drive all day in Death Valley-like temps... So it's just the wet traction/hydroplane resistance (especially the latter) that becomes an issue. That's my theory at least. I wouldn't take a super long trip to unknown environs with them - that's probably the main reason I'd replace now, so I can take a road trip.

Here's a pict I took at 79,500 miles, a year and half ago when I was thinking I'd be replacing them soon. I thought I made a thread but I can't find it. Unfortunately I didn't take a pict when I rotated them a couple days ago.

·
Registered
138 Posts
^ Yeah, the roads must be pretty smooth around here, or something. Plus, I'm definitely taking them to a wear level that most people would consider unsafe. If I'm careful I don't think they are, though. I try not to drive in the rain, and if I do or hit wet pavement I slow down, I won't go over about ...50 mph. The tires are designed to wear on the shoulders first, leaving a few 1/8 of an inch leftover in the middle. That seems to continue to function to some degree... I don't know, I was going to replace them a while ago, based on my normal standards, but then I just decided to slow down in wet.

My guess is there's still plenty of 'rubber' left, even when the shoulders are bald, to resist a blow-out due to weakness, provided you don't drive all day in Death Valley-like temps... So it's just the wet traction/hydroplane resistance (especially the latter) that becomes an issue. That's my theory at least. I wouldn't take a super long trip to unknown environs with them - that's probably the main reason I'd replace now, so I can take a road trip.

Here's a pict I took at 79,500 miles, a year and half ago when I was thinking I'd be replacing them soon. I thought I made a thread but I can't find it. Unfortunately I didn't take a pict when I rotated them a couple days ago.

View attachment 91646

View attachment 91647
Look like my actual one. I buy my new one to replace them and decided to use the old one for another season.

·
Registered
120 Posts

View attachment 91646

View attachment 91647
That's a scrap tire in my book, for my use case. The tire shoulders wearing down first is the main problem, any water, slush, or snow gets trapped in the remaining tread in the middle, with no exit path to the sides; combined with the Insights lack of weight, this causes it to hydroplane. Not fun. The Nokian Nordmen 7 has a deep, directional tread with channels to and through the shoulders; they eject water and snow directly out the sides. You can actually see snow flying out sideways in the side view mirrors in the winter, with no chance to lift the car up off the pavement. Being a snow tire, they have a soft rubber compound, so they can be a little squirmy in the summer if you drive aggressively, but given the improvement in tread life, as well as handling ability in adverse weather, it's something that I am willing to tolerate. The fact that they are lower in cost than the Potenza's is just an added bonus; I would still use them even if they cost more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts