Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know the source for the 12v cigarette lighter is if the engine is not running and the ignition in the first position to turn the cigarette lighter on?

Will it be the 12v lead acid, or from the battery pack through the dc-dc converter?

If it's from the battery pack, does anyone know what happens when the power has drained to below 20%? Presumably it's safe to plug something in (like a small portable fridge) and leave it turned on until theres no power being delivered from the battery pack?

I guess another relevant question is how long should i expect a fully charged battery pack to provide power for if something is pulling 50w

Any info much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Ahhhh, I believe the 12 volt power to the "cigarette lighter" switches off when the car is turned off. I tried using it for solar charging and had no joy.

Kip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention that I'll leave the key in position 1 of the ignition so that the supply is live.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
mrlab said:
Forgot to mention that I'll leave the key in position 1 of the ignition so that the supply is live.
In that situation it's the little 12V battery. The DC-DC converter is running only with the ignition "ON" and the engine either running or in auto-idle stop.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
james said:
I wouldn't try it unless you have a friend with jumper cables with you. I've run it down just using a battery-powered air compressor, so I'm pretty sure that it just draws from the 12-volt battery, and if that's discharged enough, the car won't start.
Sounds like you may have a week 12V battery. I use my air compressor weekly at the track to adjust my tires, and it runs for 20 minutes to half an hour at a time of my 12V battery. No issues here, and I have a battery with less AH capacity then the stocker...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
As a rule of thumb the DC/DC converter functions like an alternator. If you just turn the key to the on position you run off the 12 volt battery. If you start the engine then the DC/DC comes on. Then in auto stop it's still the DC/DC because the car is still technically "on".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it's considered unsafe to leave it in auto-stop mode for long periods to run external accessories through the 12v socket than?

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
12 VDC while Autostop

You can run 12 VDC while in auto-stop and the DC-DC will tap the 120 D Cell NiMH Battery pack... which still stores less than 1 Kwh but you will pull from that before the 12 VDC Lead Acid and when I have tried to do similar things for long periods of time in auto-stop yes the NiMH Battery pack drains down but at a certain point the insight came out of auto stop to do forced chargeing until the battery pack was back up a bit then back to auto stop etc.... now if you have MIMA installed you could prevent the forced charging which might let you stay in auto stop until all battery power is spent.... don't know why you would want to do that though then you would need a jump....

my 2 bits

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've kept the car in auto stop for about an hour before running the stereo. It will discharge the pack, and long periods of auto stop may trigger a recalibration. I wouldn't recommend forcing it to stay in auto stop any longer than it's intended to do so, deep discharges will hurt the pack so a MIMA hack to over ride this would not be a good idea. But unmodified you should be able to run small 12 volt loads for a long time with the traction pack in auto stop.

You could also get the Civic sized Optima Yellow top as an alternative.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd be very careful putting cheap DC plugs into the power jack... I had mine rip up my Air Pump. If its gets stuck in there.. its very unforgiving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts