Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Insight 240k miles. When I started the car this morning power steering/VBS lights came one. I pulled forward slightly, no power steering. I am a widow with little knowledge regarding cars and I cannot afford expensive fixes.
Splash guard no longer intact, few plastic pieces hanging on. Emission light comes on and off periodically, think there may be some type of short with the sensor?
Any help/directions/instructions would be appreciated. I would like to attempt to resolve this issue with power steering/VBS as much as I can by myself while keeping costs down.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
First thing to do is............have the 12v battery LOAD tested.

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
+1 Willie.

AND, while you are at the Autozone, Advance, Napa, wherever you get your free battery check, have them check for diagnostic codes in the car computer- also free at most all stores. Do you have a check engine light lit on the dash?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power Steering issue

I do not remember seeing a check engine light on the dash. The emission light shows on the dash, though as previously stated it comes on and off randomly.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Maybe change your gas cap for that problem. When getting gas, tighten gas cap till it clicks 6 times.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
What about drive belt? Ever had that replaced? Because our Insights do not have a timing belt, those don't tend get the attention required. You did say that you have no power steering, a belt drives that and the A/C compressor.

While a weak 12 volt under hood is notorious for causing unexpected problems and light up the dash like a Christmas tree, you have a very specific trouble light, indicating an issue with the power steering.

VBS light? Um no, maybe TCS? or ABS?
The TCS stands for traction control system and it will set that light whenever there is any other issue. It means that system is shut off until the primary problem is fixed. Ignore that and check the power steering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
egads
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing