Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive with lights almost all the time.
I noticed lately that my eco button is actually quite warm. I never noticed it had a light at all, but it does and it gets hot! Not very eco... they should have made it red :evil:

So... I changed some lights for LEDs and here is an obvious candidate.
It does not look very accessible though.
Any suggestions how I could access it?
Any other easily accessible permanently burning lights in the interior?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You could unplug it if you dont change that setting. :D

Interesting discovery. You can pop it out of the dash and take a look or buy a second one to mod, then switch them out. I keep my dash dim and dont think any of the buttons have felt warm.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been feeling out all the lighted buttons this evening.

All buttons in the cluster with the Eco button are warm; mirror control, ESP, TC; I bet they all have traditional bulbs.
None of the other buttons is warm; not on the radio, not the window switches I bet they are LEDs.
Don't know what's lighting the instrument cluster but as it is plain white light I suspect those are LEDs too.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Do the buttons on your steering wheel light up? Mines does. I felt mines all too today as I have an hour commute and none were warm. I have my dash lights set to 50% brightness.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have it at max brightness, as there seems to be nothing in between 60% brightness and 100% brightness; 60% is not enough in daylight.
The buttons on the steering wheel light up and are cool, just like anything that is well away of the eco button.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
If its the eco button that bothers you, its a normally open momentary push button switch. If you do not use it and do not have the fog lights you can just unplug it. If you have fog lights its piggy backed for powering the switch and relay.

I wouldnt worry, its likely a small bulb and uses 2 watts tops.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm not worried, just amused about Honda cheapskating on the very eco button :)
But if I can swap the bulb for one of my spare LEDs then why not? That 2 Watts would save me a liter in say 1000 hours of running. In the end it will save me some.

BTW they even get warm(ish) at low illumination.
Frankly, I hope the power drop from switching them for LEDs would make the rest light up brighter, reducing the gap between full bright and one step below that; so dimming would actually become useful.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats interesting. Ive taken apart switches in the past and its like a small grain of wheat bulb in them for the logo to light up. They seem to last a long time, maybe longer than an led?

Maybe there is an illumination lead you can clip and turn them all off? Ill have to check the manual next time I come across it. I know the radio harness has a orange lead for radios that illuminate with the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts