Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Alpine radio and Rockfort speakers, but the system is lacking bass. Has anyone tried installing a smaller/shorter under-seat powered subwoofers? If I can't get something to mount under the drivers side seat, I'd like something relatively portable that I can take inside at night.

What is everyone doing for passable bass in your G1s?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
618 Posts
I just installed a Rockville RW8CA 8" powered sub under the driver's seat yesterday. I used some 1 1/8" acetal rod to make 1/2" front and 1" rear seat risers to clear the sub.

Spacers were installed based on a write up that samchwise did for his 10" Rockville under-seat sub: https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/audio-system-upgrade-on-a-budget.86146/

Putting the seat back in is a bit of a pain with the spacers due to the bolts being at an angle, and I ended up putting a small tear in the front right of the seat on the underside. The picture below shows the seat extended all the way forward, so it might be possible to lift the sub out the back at night, but unless you live in a dangerous area it really seems like it would be too much trouble. I don't have any ostentatious speaker grilles and I hid the bass boost remote in the compartment to the left of the steering wheel, so unless you hear it you won't know that there is a system installed.

Something to keep in mind is that even with the spacers there isn't that much clearance for the sub, so you will feel it (literally) as you're bumping down the road.

Gain was left at 50%, low pass frequency was set to 110-120 hertz, bass boost at 50% on the sub and 50% on the remote. It sounds great even without maximizing its potential. 600w peak and 150w rms. The 10" is also available with 800w peak and 200w rms, but the dimensions won't allow you to install it with the controls facing the rear for easy access, it would have to be mounted sideways.

The sub was $99 on Amazon. I opted to spend the $6 extra to get the wiring kit for it. This the link that I purchased from: https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RW8CA-Under-Seat-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B073W5ZMWN/

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you like the sound quality of the 8"? I was leaning toward using the rear speaker holes for mid-bass 6.5's, but don't like that they vent into an open space. I had a Bazooka bass tube in a pickup truck years ago, I think it was a 10" and it kicked pretty hard. I don't expect an 8" to compete, but anything will be an improvement over having virtually no bass at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed the Kenwood's KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer under my passenger seat. It might look small, but it delivers impressive bass. It required no modifications at all. The seat moves forward and backward all the way. I did a lot of research on powered under the seat subwoofers and ultimately landed on this one due to the sensitivity of 110 dB...one of the highest on the market and found a good deal on eBay.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the Kenwood's KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer under my passenger seat. It might look small, but it delivers impressive bass. It required no modifications at all. The seat moves forward and backward all the way. I did a lot of research on powered under the seat subwoofers and ultimately landed on this one due to the sensitivity of 110 dB...one of the highest on the market and found a good deal on eBay.
Good to know - zero seat mods are a big plus.

Can I ask how you ran power to the Kenwood?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
618 Posts
How do you like the sound quality of the 8"? I was leaning toward using the rear speaker holes for mid-bass 6.5's, but don't like that they vent into an open space. I had a Bazooka bass tube in a pickup truck years ago, I think it was a 10" and it kicked pretty hard. I don't expect an 8" to compete, but anything will be an improvement over having virtually no bass at all.
I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I'm really quite impressed. It's hard to give a firm statement though since mostly everyone has a different opinion on what defines good quality sound. But sound quality is definitely much, much improved over not having a sub. It really kicks for just being a small under seat sub.

I read on here that 6.5s don't produce enough bass, and 10s are more than needed for the average person unless you want a really kicker sound system. Of course, YMMV.

I was looking at that one too, but ultimately went with the Rockville due to better output specs (except for efficiency) and being over $30 cheaper. The Kenwood was in my top 5 though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just installed a new Alpine radio and Rockfort speakers, but the system is lacking bass. Has anyone tried installing a smaller/shorter under-seat powered subwoofers? If I can't get something to mount under the drivers side seat, I'd like something relatively portable that I can take inside at night.

What is everyone doing for passable bass in your G1s?
There is a space in the cargo area on the right side that, back in the day, was intended for a GPS system. An old old post gave dimensions for building a cabinet. I first built out of cardboard before I started hacking away at cabinet material. I lined the surrounding area with soundproofing material. If I recall, it fits a 10" subwoofer.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,975 Posts
"was intended for a GPS". Where did this information come from?
(Need to know)

·
Registered
41 Posts
From an old post, I think, or one of the manuals. I recall that they were made for the Japanese market.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm thinking of making the Kenwood portable to other cars, such that I would power it with a 12v socket connector (with included 10a fuse). The power would be slightly obscured from view, but I could easily remove the device from the car if I wanted to (or transfer to my work truck on occasion). I'd run RCAs under the trim and just leave there.

Nov 2020 update, I actually never did this - it's hardwired to the car. Ultimately didn't see any benefit in making it portable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone here know how to make the bass on the subwoofer less noisy? Because I've been struggling with this problem for a while and I felt like the whole world is against me all I tried to do ends with the fact that I was making it worse but on one wonderful day one of my friends came to my house and I showed them my problem and he said that the problem is not in the subwoofer but the problem is in the speakers, I was very happy to hear that because that subwoofer was very expensive and I didn't want to change it but another problem was that I didn't know where to find good speakers, fortunately, my friend knew a good site with reviews on speakers and there I found what I was searching for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts