Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very close to buying a used 2000 manual Insight! The owner said that the vehicle was recently serviced at the Honda dealer and that they did the IMA warranty/recall work... I'm going to call them to verify...

Is it not a good idea to take the Honda dealer's service info / docs in lieu of getting it checked out by a mechanic before I buy it (since it was done very recently)? How much info can the Honda dealer let me know if I call them, give them the VIN # etc. and is there anything I should ask besides if the IMA was replaced and if anything outstanding needs to be fixed?

thanks!
-z

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p.s.

For anyone who is at the same stage as I am in the purchase of an insight I found this thread which is somewhat related to my question to be really helpful.
-z

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is it not a good idea to take the Honda dealer's service info / docs in lieu of getting it checked out by a mechanic before I buy it (since it was done very recently)? How much info can the Honda dealer let me know if I call them, give them the VIN # etc. and is there anything I should ask besides if the IMA was replaced and if anything outstanding needs to be fixed?
-z
In light of the amount of funds involved, it is suggested that:

.1. Do NOT call the Honda dealer. Use a Certified Letter and ask that they confirm in writing what you've been told by the seller.

.2. Do have the vehicle checked by the Honda dealer or any other qualified mechanice you elect -- but no matter what do have the vehicle checked by someone (other than yourself) who knows what they're doing; remember you're probably looking at the vehicle with "rose colored glasses."

.3. If you're not aware of it, it is now federal law that that the seller of a used motor vehicle is required to provide the buyer with written certification as to the total mileage on the vehicle; tenths of a mile excluded.

It is strongly recommended that you have an attorney draw up a simple purchase agreement and have the seller sign it. If he or she will not, then walk away from the sale, no matter how good a deal it might seem to be, unless of course you relish expensive grief.

Hope this helps.

Fred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts