Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Tire Wear Problem Since Day-1
I have over 50,000 miles on my Insight. I have had a rear tire wear problem since day-1. During the time I have owned my Insight I have replaced 6-tires (2-front tires and 4-rear) and the current set of rear tires needs to be replaced again. I don't want to throw more money away on tires until the root cause of this problem is identified and resolved.

Rear Tires Only Last About 10,000 Miles
A new set of rear tires typically lasts me about 10,000 miles before I hear a thump, thump, thump as I go down the highway.

Paid for 4-Wheel Alighnement
I paid for a Full 4-wheel alignment at 35,000 miles (still under warranty) in hopes that this would resolve this problem. It didn't.

Rear Left Wheel Toe-In Outside Factory Specs
I have been back at the dealership recently because my rear tires are bad again. Before investing more money in another set of tires, I asked them to investigate and find the root cause of the problem. They showed me the data from my last Full 4-wheel alignment and told me that the toe-in on the left rear wheel was outside factory specs and that it is non-adjustable. Of course they want me to pay for a new spindle and see if that's it. If that's not the problem then they are talking about a new trailing arm which has to be really expensive. Why didn't they tell me about the Toe-In problem back at 35,000 miles when the car was under warranty?

Will Honda Stand Behind Their Product?
I want to see what Honda is willing to do for me. This is my 3rd Honda, but it's been the most un-Honda like experince I have had with any of their products.

Has Anyone Else Had This Problem?

·
Registered
162 Posts
sounds like you need to call honda's pr people. If you paid for a four wheel alignment, you got ripped off. They already admited to you that they could not do an alignment on the rear wheels, but charged you for it anyway.

If they did measur the Toe in on the rear tires as out of factory spec, why did they not replace it under warrenty.... this is not a normal wear and tear item on our cars. A missaligned rear spindle is a factory manufacturing error!

I think you need to call the manager of that dealership, and demand they refunf the money from the alignment. Then call honda care, and ask that they cover the problem under the old warenty, as the problem was determinted back at 35000 miles, but the dealership was too stupid to fix it then!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree with JustinGray.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It is not true that he rear wheels are not adjustable: they are.

Of course it is not as easy as turning a bolt like the other Honda. But it is as easy as adjusting hte wheels of a Chevrolet Cavalier.

Ther are spacers that they put between the axel plate and the brake plate. It is shaped in a "U" form and the thickness can be grindded to fit the correction needed.
In the old days thase where alloy spacers but now they use some kind of plastic.

There are 4 bolts per whell to loosen to put the spacer in. It is not straight forward as the wheel position relative to the body gives different results.

Those Honda technicians are just amateurs. I had my car checked and my dealer had given my a local aligment shop to go to. Just because all other honda has simple adjustment bolts but they have no experience.

Go to a speciallized in alignment shope. They can actually build the part out of one made for an other car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very Good Replies

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm not really in favor of having some shop other than Honda perform work that should have been covered under warranty. If I have anyone else tinker with my car creating custom parts Honda will walk away from all responsibility for sure.

If Honda built it they should be able to fix it. Honda Care sounds like a good next effort to me.

PS,
Good point about the alighnment. Your right they charged me but didn't finish the job!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had the same problem with my left rear wheel out of alignment. Honda would not cover it because they see it as damage caused by hitting a pothole or something. My dealership first tried to do a four wheel alignment but found out they could not adjust the rear. They refunded me the difference. I did take the car to an independent local shop a number of people recommended. I explained the problem and they said they would take a look. They came back and said they could not shim or use a spacer because there are not four bolts but three. If they try to correct the current alignment issue they will cause an even greater misalignment in another location. They worked about an hour and charged me nothing. I still have the problem. A new spindle and trailing arm is $500plus for parts. Honda had no idea of the labor cost because nothing is listed for doing such work. Mine is just bearly out of alignment so I hope that it does not cause much of a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honda is Going to MAKE IT RIGHT!!!

Did Not Hear From Dealership for 6 to 8-weeks
I have not heard back my local Honda dealership for what must be around 6 to 8-weeks now. Last I knew they were supposed to be contacting Honda about my real wheel alignment issue.

Called Honda Care
I called Honda Care first thing this morning and gave them the history of my problem. I was told that someone would get back to me in 24 to 48-hours.

Honda Care Resolves Issue Same Day
Teri of Honda Care called me back a few hours later to let me know that Honda was going to cover the entire cost of fixing my rear wheel alignment problem and do whatever it takes to resolve the issue completely.

Service History Was Deciding Factor
Teri said that a major deciding factor in my case was that I have an excellent service record with Honda taking both of my cars in as needed for routine and scheduled maintenance.

This restores my faith in Honda. Thanks for suggesting that I call Honda Care.

Teri is AWESOME!!! :) :D :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
MPG effect

I'm thinking that if the alignment was bad enough to cause noticable tire wear, it might be bad enough to cause a noticeable MPG effect. Of course there are so many other variables that I can just ask "what's you LMPG", but it would be interesting to look at before and after and see if this alignment as an effect.

Charlie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today the weather was really nice. Very little wind. It was the first time I was able to consistently see over 60mpg during a trip. My average through 54,000 miles has been 55mpg.

Once the repair is completed, I will average serveral tanks of gas and post the results here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts