Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few comments about people feeling their car reacts better with premium... Need some feedback from experienced drivers... Will using premium boost my performance and MPG, or just run slightly cleaner?

·
Registered
264 Posts
use premium... cleaner gas means less carbon buildup in your egr and engine.... as for mileage..hmm... maybe some extra mileage nothing to write home about...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Increased octane does not mean your car will run better, unless the car was designed to use it. So mainly higher compression engines work better on it. Premium gas is also not always cleaner. Chevron gas has it's Techron in all their grades.

Save your money and just use a quality grade of regular.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Or if you live in one of the cities where BP sells it, use their low sulphur premium because it reduces emissions, not that the performance will be better.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use the Amoco Ultimate from BP. It is 30 ppm of sulfur compared to the normal 500 ppm.
I can also tell a difference in performance compared to 87 octane.
Starting at the same speed at the bottom of a hill, I can top the hill about 5mph faster with steady throttle pressure using Ultimate 92 octane versus regular 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
While the Insight's compression ratio is not optimal for 91 octane it does have a knock sensor and will adjust ignition timing to optimize a higher octane fuel (up to a limit).

Low sulfur fuel also has life extending properties for the O2 sensors and CAT. Sulfur is probably the #1 "contaminant" that shortens these (combine $1,500.00 + $) components service life.

And yes, its another one of those impossible to quantify outside of laboratory conditions variables. So where the cost effective point is can't be reliably determined out here in the real world.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LoNOx 1 said:
Starting at the same speed at the bottom of a hill, I can top the hill about 5mph faster with steady throttle pressure using Ultimate 92 octane versus regular 87 octane.

Are you sure it's just just not the added weight of a hefty meal you had? 5mph hardly confirms it was premium over regular. Other factors can come into play like outside temp, tire pressure, car waxed, windy day.....and many other things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well folks I did some research on gases and I've heard both sides of the story. In respect to our cars I don't think 94 octane is necessary but its certainly not bad for the car either.

One thing I did find is its not good to go back and forth from ethanol gases to non ethanol... either stay with the higher grade or with a lower grade but don't go back and forth ... it influences your emissions. ...

also sulphur levels greatly influence smog etc.. in Canada there is now legislation forcing gas companies to be under 30ppm for all gases across the board and mmt is now mostly not in Canadian gases...

personally there is a petro can station selling 91 octane near me; but I will not buy it... I'll stick with the 94 ethonal brand... it does produce less emissions than say a 91 for regular cars... for ours not much of a difference... its a matter of personal choice but for the difference between them in price and how often I go to a gas station eg... once a month I don't mind buying 94... oh and on top of that I add lucas fuel enhancer and get even better mileage..:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Resist said:
LoNOx 1 said:
Are you sure it's just just not the added weight of a hefty meal you had? 5mph hardly confirms it was premium over regular. Other factors can come into play like outside temp, tire pressure, car waxed, windy day.....and many other things.
Many variables have been considered and checked. Over the last almost 13 months, I have traveled the same commute 259 times 42.6 miles south to work and 259 times 42.6 miles north to home. 33% of the time south at 6a.m., 33% south at 1p.m., 33% south at 9p.m.. Yes, I have considered.
No, it wasn't a documented lab experiment so I must say it is only (IMHE) in my humble experience.
I have tried this with our other car and truck and could not tell a difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a great revelation on my part or anything, but I always knew the insight is built ultra light, but i didn't realize that even how full the gas tank is, is enough to significantly affect acceleration and lower gas mileage significantly enough for me to never fill it up more than half way again. just some thoughts...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Premium vs regular.

I've used both and find that the premium tends to get less MPG although I agree that it will keep the engine cleaner. I have also found that if I burn one tank of premium then use regular the next tank that my milage is way better. I will use premium every 3rd or 4th tank just to clean the engine then go back to regular. I've consistently benn getting 60+ and in some cases 70+ per gallon. This seems to work for me. I am getting ready to go on a trip to Arkansas on the 27th of this month. I'll keep you posted on how well it does. Have a great day! :D

Jerry

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: Premium vs regular.

jburdett said:
I've used both and find that the premium tends to get less MPG although I agree that it will keep the engine cleaner.
All grades of Chevron have Techron, so there is no need to use premium.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any personal preferences between the Shell V-Power and the Chevron Techron? differences?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regular vs Premium

Both are about the same... The milage is about the same. I have been consistently gotten 60+ MPG with either. That I think is due to driving technique more than anything. The regular seems to get better maybe because the car is designed to run on the lower grade and the lean-burn is probably set up for that too. Try a tank of regular right behind the high grade and see if it is just me or the fuel. Enjoy :D

Jerry

·
Registered
344 Posts
I other detail I forgot to mention is that I do not see purge occuring as often when in lean burn using Amoco Ultimate.

·
Registered
473 Posts
After reading this thread, I decided to try using premium instead of regular gas. The price difference was minimized since only 10 gallons are required so cost isn't much of a factor.

Now, I'm only on my 3rd tank since buying the car, but 3/4s of the way through it I'm getting 67mpg where my best before was 60. Could be my driving technique is just getting better, but I don't think I'm doing anything different. Same mixture of freeway and non-freeway trips. I bought Shell V-Power premium, and I think I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Your driving may be the same but the outside temps have to also be the same, as well as your tire air pressure, for a fair comparison.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
While the Insight's compression ratio is not optimal for 91 octane it does have a knock sensor and will adjust ignition timing to optimize a higher octane fuel (up to a limit).
Don't you mean that the knock sensor will adjust the timing for a lower octane? You won't get engine knocking by using a higher octane fuel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts