Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a road trip this weekend. Besides a fluid level check and a tire pressure check, is there anything specific to Insights I should do before I take it out for a long haul?

Mine is a 2000 manual with a little over 43000 miles. I have only owned it a month. I haven't done anything to it except wash it and refuel.

--
Elaine

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
ecogrl said:
I'm going on a road trip this weekend. Besides a fluid level check and a tire pressure check, is there anything specific to Insights I should do before I take it out for a long haul?

Mine is a 2000 manual with a little over 43000 miles. I have only owned it a month. I haven't done anything to it except wash it and refuel.

--
Elaine
And the question on everyone's mind planning a reply is, "How long will the trip be?" <g>

An Inspection of the overall condition would be a good idea. Unless your prepared for trouble on the road. And especially since you don't seem to know the maintenance history of your new Insight.

Nothing major is due by mileage yet, but the engine air filter, cabin air filter were due for replacement @30K miles. A skillful inspection can go a long way in identifying needed items before additional damage is done. e.g. any leaks, visual condition of cooling system hoses, tire condition, etc.

If you don't know when the next oil change is due. Do it before the trip.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Driving on a trip is actually easier on a car than driving in traffic but Murphy's law states that if your car fails it will be at the greatest distance from help. If you drive 20 times farther than normal you are 20 times more lokely to have a problem on a given day. Hmmm, you're reading this from a fellow who drove a 10 year old 84 Accord from Montreal to Halifax Nova Scotia and back without checking anything and then had a water pump sieze up two days later a mile from home. :roll: Hondas are generally very reliable, but if it would make your trip less stressful you could get a membership to an auto club like AAA. My brother drives a beloved 20 year old VW and it has proved worthwhile for him.

Remember, after 600 to 800 miles you will need to fill up. :wink:

Enjoy your trip

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Check your spare tire pressure. They tend to loose air quickly and if you haven't checked it in the time you've had the car it's probably really really low. It is supposed to be inflated to 60psi. Nothing worse than having a flat and a flat spare tire at the same time.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
No matter what anyone else here says, there is nothing different have to do, that you wouldn't do for any other car. Just drive it, don't worry.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
All the things mentioned here should be done/checked on a regular basis regarless of how far you drive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Driving on a trip is actually easier on a car than driving in traffic but Murphy's law states that if your car fails it will be at the greatest distance from help.......
Ha! In my early driving days, I used to have a catastrophic failure any time I drove more than 15 miles from home. And people still think I am strange for carrying a tool kit, extra fluids, extra set of hoses, belts, and a duplicate of any other replaceable part that has happened to leave me stranded... :roll:

Things sure are different now.

sorry for veering OT

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ecogrl:

___Given the 43,000 miles on your own Insight, are the tires new or originals? Have you checked the tread depth if they are the originals? Just one more item to add to the list.

___Might I also suggest that you throw a sleeping bag, a warm hat, warm pair of gloves, toothpaste, a toothbrush, a razor (well maybe not a razor in your case ;)), and a change of clothes in the storage compartment? You just never know when an emergency of whatever type will someday appear is all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1xxlbs8v][email protected][/email:1xxlbs8v]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone!

wow! Thank, everyone for the great advice.

I'm just going to California - the Central Coast (SLO town - San Luis Obispo), which is 7-8 hours drive from Vegas. I'm going to visit my parents.

My normal commute is 10 minutes to work and 10-30 back, depending on traffic. I drive out to Red Rock to hike every weekend and around town for errands and fun - so I drive a total of about 200 miles a week.

I have a AAA membership already, check that off the list.

I always drive around with jumper cables, extra oil, extra coolant and a gas can.

I guess it's mostly just because I've never had new or reliable cars. My 2000 Insight is the newest car I've ever had - and actually, the only car I've ever owned with fewer than 100,000 miles on it.

I will bring my sleeping bag just in case.

I don't know if the tires are originals or not. I'm guessing they are. I have chrome rims - not something I would have choosen to do, but they do look nice. How much weight does that add? Will it change my MPG?

I will check the spare. And I think I'll get an oil change too. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

Oh, and BTW, I got my new plates - they say ECOGRL :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Chrome rims? Ohh please post a picture. It's probably most deffinitely effecting your mileage, it depends mainly on the wheels weight. Just a wild guess, but your probably getting at least 10mpg less, even less if it's a heavy wheel. Plus I'm guessing they switched to a different tire too than the low rolling resistence oem tire.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ecogrl:

___I forgot one or two other “must have” items … A small flashlight for the glove box and a large one for the storage compartment, an electronic or round analog gauge equipped tire pressure device, and a window scraper. In Las Vegas, a window scraper may not be a necessity but on the road, anything can happen.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2nafzw9p][email protected][/email:2nafzw9p]

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
So where are you going? You should post your destination, and route in case any genuine "INSIGHTERS" want to meet up.

I do this on all my trips over 500 miles and have met several "INSIGHTERS" along the routes and have really enjoyed the experience.

On my three trips across the US in the last three years I just get in the "little red rocket" and go. (Let faith take care of its self.)

Enjoy yourself, drive careful, and HAVE FUN......... :twisted:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh.. yeah, don't need window scrapers. The only time in my life I have ever needed a window scraper was a 6 month internship in South Lake Tahoe with the California Tahoe Conservancy.

Uh... I already said where I was going. From Vegas, there aren't too many routes. Anyway, Willie, you're kinda scaring me. :/

Here's my baby for those who want to see. This pic was taken a couple weeks ago out where I go hiking at Red Rock Canyon just outside of Las Vegas.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
ecogrl said:
Here's my baby for those who want to see.
And it is a very beautiful baby too! Who was the father? I heard that it was that bad but powerful bloke, Mr NSX... :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ohh, those are stock wheels. They're polished clear coated alluminum, not chrome. And nice and light weight.

Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ricky, yeah, you're right. I don't know why I said they were chrome. But you know, I bought it at a Toyota dealer (the only Insight in town for sale - new or used) and they didn't know ANYTHING about it. We spent about a half hour figuring out where the spare tire was. When they gave me the green slip - to register at the DMV - it said the car was a 4 cyl.

Anyway, I drove over 1200 miles this weekend with no problems.

Got an average of almost 59 mpg for the total trip, including the city driving.

I didn't seen any other Insights, but I saw about 5 Priuses (is that right for plural Prius?) and one Hybrid Civic. The Prius is ugly IMO and the Civic is just your standard Civic. Good car, but nothing special to look at. I think our Insights are really cute.

But now my car is dirty and needs a wash. And I am really really tired.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
If you had posted your route and times, I bet you would have seen more INSIGHTERS..(Am I right James?)...............I'll be going to MESQUITE NEV. soon.....Cabin Fever.............Hope I can see some INSIGHTERS along the way..... :p

·
Registered
700 Posts
This topic reminded me to check my spare.

Guess what? Flat as a pancake. And this for the guy with the mechanic shop in the back.
:oops:

Thanks, ecogrl :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Ecogrl, Don't be surprised that the Toyota folks knew little about your car.

When I bought my Insight I had three Honda salesmen trying to figure out where the spare was. They looked under the passenger seat, in the engine compartment (like Subaru), under the car. (They couldnt figure out what the flexible air dams were in the storage compatment.) Nobody could believe that someone was actually going to buy an Insight. :shock: I spent a long time bringing them up to speed technically. When I finally got to test it out a week after buying it, my salesman asked me if I could take him for a spin in it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts