Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Last winter I had an IMA problem (cold starting). The resolution was broken ground cables.

I was going to clean the engine compartment when I checked the cables. They are 6 months old. And show some corrosion.

Check this page under "Resolution" for images of the cables and corrosion.
http://md92raid.100freemb.com/insightcoldstart.html

As they broke the last time, I will do prevention and replace them with cables that are more flexible and more corrosion resistant. I will search for a longer lasting solution.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yves M. said:
I was going to clean the engine compartment .....
Why? I can still identify a few of the things in there. :wink:

Boy, the salt must do a number on cars up there.

Can you find some insulated cables?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of soft welding cable or car jumper cable type.
I hope that it exist in a 'winterized' format. They are usually easy to bend and I could do a "U" instead of the straight line to help resist the vibration.
Honda's cable is really not flexible, even at room tempature.

Then I need to find the ends, something that will not dissolve the aluminium body. Maybe it exist in stainless steel. I'll try to find what the "marine" environment uses.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think the reason that specific piece of cable was left bare like that was so you could have an easy ground point if jump starting. That piece is pretty simple, 8 gage I'm guessing? You should be able to make a cable that can work here pretty easily. Wire for stereo applications is expensive but always nice and easy to work with. Welding cable is about the same too.

I doubt it would have stopped the corrosion, but pressure washing that engine bay from time to time would help keep corrosive stuff like salt out of there (which I'm guessing contributed to that). I know we're talking extreme differences in climates here, but those particular wires on mine the copper has just barely turned a little dark, no blue corrosion at all. The fact that there's rust on the connectors is somewhat disscerning too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ground cables

Hi Yves,

got the same problem with my cables. When I was filling the windshield washer fluid the other day, I happened to remember reading your post - checked the cables, and sure enough, they're about half way through. Maybe they're just a poor grade of copper... I have to admit though, I have the same problem with the ground cables on my BMW motorcycle.

I was thinking about using welding cable. Although there's a lot of ss marine stuff, there's also a lot of brass. Have you thought about making up some cables, then using this stuff: http://www.corrosionx.com/
Also available here (sometimes a little cheaper): http://pacificcorrosion.com/

If I hadn't read your post, I don't know when I might have actually looked at those cables, or even thought to check them. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

I thought of putting grease on the cable ends but that would only accumulate dirt. That corrosionx stuff seams great and the Pacific does ship to Canada.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yup, same problem on mine.
Need to come with a solution soon as it's going..... :?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just a thought...

How much are the ground cables, the original ones? Surely they aren't too much. Maybe get a few sets, and replace them periodically as "scheduled maintenance"...

·
Registered
242 Posts
ground cables

Holicow,

I think it's better to get a good quality cable, install it one time, and forget about it! Although I'm sure Honda loves selling parts...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Seems to me that the real problem is the use of bare (as in uninsulated, or exposed) wire?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI all,

I have made the corrections. See the lower section of
http://md92raid.100freemb.com/insightcoldstart.html
at "New cables" there are 3 new pictures.

I have found that my local CanadianTire store does have ground cables:
- The connector ends are cloded so they are less prone to corrosion
- I added some heat shrink for better water protection
- They are longer (15 inches) so I could do a "U" loop to help prevent breakage from the vibration (the engine does vibrate more than my older v8 car engines.
- They are of gauge 4 so slitly bigger

The original cables are more straight and specially the lower one. It is bent at 90 degrees. The 'U' will help to spread the flexing to a longer cable section.

Back in December of last year, one cable was broke at the connector end and the other was broken within the plastic insulator. Water had infiltrated and corrosion/flexing had broken it inside the plastic.
I do not have pictures has Honda kept the cables to send to Honda Japan.

EDIT: And the new cables where half the price of the Honda 'bad design' cables

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Yves, very professional looking, makes a lot more sense. How much did you pay?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Tim,

The cables are $4.99 each and the shrink was $1.20 (for 3 foot long).
Total about $11 + taxes (canadian currency)
And the cables are easily accessable.

The shrink, I put a shorter piece first to reduce the size difference between the cable and connector. And then a longer piece over.

I forgot to mention that the cable had a larger bolt hole. I put some solder in the side of the hole to reduce it and keep the bolt centered.

Honda should have used something like that. It looks like the Honda cables where "hand made"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yves M. said:
The cables are $4.99 each and the shrink was $1.20 (for 3 foot long).
Total about $11 + taxes (canadian currency)
And the cables are easily accessable.
By any chance do you have the part numbers for these cables (I assume two cables, correct) and heat shrink tubing? My Sister lives in Mississauga and is coming down here to New York in July. I could ask her to stop by a Canadian Tire and pick a set up for me but it would be easier on her if I just gave her part numbers. My current cables are not as bad as the ones you have pictured but one of my cables is already starting to fray on the engine side from vibration. I suspect a little PM is in order.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Robert,

It is: 11-0961-6
The name: Starter To Switch Cable 15"

The shrink tubing came from a local electronic parts store called Addison

1 - 15 of 15 Posts