Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loved my 2001 CVT Insight but must say after we just added a Prius to our garage, now I want one for my self. The Prius gets the same fuel mileage as my CVT Insight and the Prius has more space and goodies, like GPS. I thought about getting a Honda Civic Hybrid but the Prius has more room for trips. Plus, due to the Civic Hybrid demand in my area dealerships are marking them up $2,000. We got $1,000 off MSRP on the Prius. And the Prius has a $3150 tax credit, while the Civic Hybrid is only $2100.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
We have a Prius and a mt Insight. The Prius does about 50mpg the Insight about 70mpg. I think the difference is worthwhile and the cars have such different characters. Replacing your cvt Insight with a Prius may be a good idea if you need the space - but have you considered a mt Insight? :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have, but the manual Insight doesn't even get a tax credit. I need the room and prefer an automatic, so I think the Prius will fit my needs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ethicalpaul said:
Wow, I'm a little surprised that the relatively massive Prius gets the same mileage as your tiny CVT Insight.
The Prius uses a "special" engine with an extra-long expansion phase (to get the maximum amount of energy from each explosion).

The CVT Insight uses a standard engine (no lean-burn).

If the CVT Insight had a special lean-burn engine like the manual, we'd see it get 68 mpg on the highway. Too bad Honda never offered that as an option, because I thought the CVT was a lot of fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
There is very little difference in the Insight CVT and MT engine. If you check part numbers, I believe the only major difference is a different piston allowing higher compression (giving slightly more horespower).

The lean-burn technology is in the ECM (onboard computer) and in the emissions layout. The rest of the enigine components are mostly identical.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the Prius also. When I was choosing between the Insight and Prius I ended up choosing the Insight, but only because I thought the seat was more comfortable. The Prius has a lot to offer.

However, the Prius definitely doesn't get the same MPG as a CVT Insight. According to the database on GreenHybrid.com, people are getting 48 MPG in their Prius', and 55 MPG in their Insights (and that's from a database of about 850 cars).

James

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
48 mpg for a Prius is very close to my average. I think I could get 53 - 55 mpg with frequent application of hyper miling techniques but that is really beyond the realities of the car being used as a family run-about.

Despite the clever engine and drive train I think that the Prius is just too heavy to get mileage anything like a mt Insight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would love a Prius as our second car. My husband on the other hand is not a fan of hybrid cars. However, I recently converted him from American crap cars and he bought an Acura. We are getting closer.

We have no children or dogs, so the Insight is perfect, I loved it from the first time i saw it when it was first sold. If it were between the Prius and the Civic i would get the Prius. I have a few friends with Prii and they love them. What is interesting is that the Honda's have the battery behind the back seat (or front seat in the Insight) and the Prius does not, so the back seat folds down for more cargo room in the trunk. I also like less than normal looking cars :D

I find that my CVT does not accelerate very well, once at speed i do great, but the acceleration is weak. The Prii owners claim no problems with the acceleration. I really do not care as I love my car 8) I have yet to drive the Prii but maybe one day i will ask for a trade for an hour or something :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
ghillie said:
Despite the clever engine and drive train I think that the Prius is just too heavy to get mileage anything like a mt Insight.
Personally I think the drive train is too clever, but to be accurate, we were comparing the Prius to the CVT Insight, not the MT.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Paul - I'm not sure why you would consider the Prius drive train too clever - unless it adds complexity for no benefit. But the Prius seems to get significantly better fuel economy than a hybrid civic, a car that would otherwise seem to be very similar. If that is comparing apples with apples (in terms of size, weight and other relevant variables) then the Prius drive train does provide benefits to justify its complexity.

Also - you may not have been comparing the Prius with a mt Insight but I was. My point is that despite the relatively efficient drive train of the Prius there is still a substantial fe gap to a mt Insight - illustrating the fe penalty of weight no matter how efficient the drive train

Happy motoring!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Having just read the posts on MPG issues under the heading "63 MPG Prius" - it makes me think that the mpg achieved for the different hybrid cars are so variable from one person's experience to another that it may be hard to draw any conclusions about the comparative fe benefits of one versus another - but I'm sure that's not going to stop us having our own opinions! :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
it makes me think that the mpg achieved for the different hybrid cars are so variable from one person's experience to another that it may be hard to draw any conclusions
That’s why the government has set up standardized tests for mpg. The numbers may not reflect your experience but it is something to compare to with out having to buy several cars. However the Prius is set up to peg the 10-15 mixed mode test in Japan, or so I read. The real problem with companies targeting a standardized test is that the drivability may suffer. For this, as well as other reasons I would be leery of buying a vehicle in it’s first year of production, I want to see what the magazines have to say as well as other peoples experiences.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi ghillie-

Of course, you are totally free as far as I am concerned to be discussing anything you want, but I just wanted to make things clear for those who were discussing what seemed to me to be a key point that was made in the first post of this thread which was:

The Prius gets the same fuel mileage as my CVT Insight
I also am not completely sure why I think the Prius design is too clever, but that is my opinion currently. I think I just really like the idea of making the flywheel into a motor like Honda did. /shrug

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another cool feature of the new Prius is the standard side impact air bags and rear backup camera. And lets not forget the Prius has cruise control and electric A/C.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Resist, no doubt you find the Prius is the best choice for you. There are reasons why I believe the new Civic hybrid is a better value for others. That would be a valid comparison, but that discussion doesn’t belong in this section.

A real world survey of 1278 vehicles yielded the following MPG ratings:

Insight 5 speed 64.2
Insight CVT 54.7
Toyota Prius II 47.8
Civic Hybrid II 47.0

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Good points Kip :!: :)

And remember IC is about the Insight and Honda Hybrids. There are other forums to _extensively_ discuss other cars. Resist, this thread reads to me like you got some well balanced differing opinions.

Now you've gotta choose chocolate or vanilla. ;)
(but is is "ice cream" we're all talking about)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't get me wrong my Insight served its purpose and I still really enjoy it. I love the amber dash lighting and instrument cluster. It's simple and easy to read, yet very high tech. I just wish Honda had given the U.S. verson the Navigation system. As well as other equipment that used to be an option years ago in many cars, now considered standard in most, like a tilt steering wheel. Or how about an in dash CD changer. Why are we still using remote changers anyway? But I really love that Honda has changed nothing on the outside of the Insight. So many auto manufactures change the external appearance of their models to frequently. While an external design change may correct problem areas, in doing so they all often create new issues. Change should fix problems, not make new problems.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I wondered about tilt steering myself as I would have liked it. It would add some weight and complexity, but likely the problem was obscuring the rather small digital display with the steering wheel. Ah well.

I bought a wafer thin Mio 310 GPS and built a custom mount for it. For less than 600 dollars CDN (tax in), it was great when I navigated through Chicago for the first time! An MP3 player is built in to it and I have a second discreet MP3 player too. Lots of tunes for even the longest trip. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts