Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are expanding into the Toyota line. Here is a max voltage test being performed on our very first Prius XW10/XW20 prototype :):

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,772 Posts

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another new Prius prototype being shipped to a customer tomorrow. Getting a lot of interest in these, primarily from Prius focused repair shops. Very cool :) Going to add them to the website this weekend hopefully.

Attachments

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that the target voltage you need to reach?

How many cells in the pack?

The 01-03 has 228 cells, and the 04-09 has 168 cells. These pics are the 2001-2003 compatible units. I expect to be able to build the 04-09 Prius version into the same black cases that we use for the Insight and HCH.

Looking forward to hearing more about this. I see plenty of Prius. Good stuff!
Sweet! Want me to get started on one for you? ;-)

·
Administrator
10,772 Posts
Safety Interlocks?

As the voltage gets ever higher and you produce/sell more and more the chance of something failing or someone doing something daft with one increases.

Is it possible to turn the charger on without it being connected to the car?

If you have a loop back in your connector at the car on a multi pin socket then that could disable the charger unless it is attached to the socket/car. Or have some HV detection so that it won't turn on unless it detects at least x volts at the plug.

My Simple Cycler has HV detection and won't power up the supplies unless it detects a battery connected.

Are you putting diodes in the wires at the battery or having a discharging/cycling facility as well?

I appreciate it's only a prototype, but I'm paranoid now about litigation which we got from you! [Thanks ;) ] I would hate that to bite you on the A!!

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, we Americans sure are good at suing the pants off of each other!

The most important thing I have done is formalized the company. No one buys chargers from me anymore, but rather from my employer, Hybrid Automotive LLC, organized in the fine state of California, USA. I am merely an employee/stakeholder at this point. My losses are limited to my investment in the company.

Regarding the Prius charger, it is internally fused and there is a diode on the car harness. We are tweaking our discharger design to be Prius compatible, but that is looking like a v2 feature at this point.

We are finalizing our new logo and branding which will be applied to all products very shortly along with safety warnings and threats of bodily injury from misuse, which will help to a degree as well - at least in theory.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have had a few people who have called me who needed this.
They ran down their HV battery by trying to start the gas engine too many times.
Happens often when a maf sensor goes bad, or other component that won't let the car start.

Every time they turn the key, the big battery tries spinning the gas engine.
If the gas engine doesn't catch, they try again.
The big battery gets weaker and weaker until then they get errors from the big battery being to low.

I have a customer right now who needs to buy one of these.
I'll get ahold of him and let you know.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, this topic title is kind of misleading. It should say prius prototype grid or maintenance charger. :mad:

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, this topic title is kind of misleading. It should say prius prototype grid or maintenance charger. :mad:
Fixed. Just for you Cobb ;)

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The XW10 (97-03 Prius) will not, it will be volts only like in the photo. The XW20 (04-09 Prius) will be built in the black cases same as the Insight/Civic units and will have the dual volt/amp meter.

None of these are on eBay yet due to the ongoing beta testing. Please PM me if you are interested in one :)

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More Prius testing. Have a 2001 Prius with a P3006 coming over for a grid charge in a few days. Will be nice to see what the Grid Charger can do on an otherwise "failed" Prius HV Traction battery :)

Battery cooling fans are on their way for design of PWM circuity to drive via charger for proper cooling :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Didnt the first gen come with a "grid" charger or am I thinking of the non us models? :confused:

Yeah, keep the pack under tension of the cells will balloon up. :evil:

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New splash image on our website:

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I like that. The photo of a B series valve cover was a bit confusion for those who read photos.

I really like Eli bumble bee logo myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts