1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Toyotas and Hondas inverters are different.
Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right about that, everything about the Insight inverter is different than the way the Prius sets it up. Honda puts it in back right next to the battery pack with the short wire run and air cools it. Prius puts it up in the engine compartment with a long wire run and uses liquid coolant.

That’s about as far as I looked into it, but I know there are other vast differences in electrical voltage, transfer of electric motor energy etc. etc. etc. Interesting nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
FWIW, I've personally encountered 2X HCH3 inverter failures. Real b!tch too. They are VIN coded, so no aftermarket or salvage yard option. At least with the Prius, you have a cheap option.

Prius inverter passes over 3X the power of the insight inverter. Cable run length has little to do with it due to the low AVERAGE current (about 20A).

The 2010-2014 failure rate is probably less than the 06-08 HCH2 battery failure rate (1 in 6). I've serviced or consulted on 23 2010-2015 Prius issues, and none have been inverter related. I'm only aware of one via a shop I collaborate with. WAY more issues with head gaskets and dead batteries.

This crap gets blown out of proportion.

171,500 vehicle fires occur every year. That's more than the number of Prii sold in the U.S. each year, 2010-2014. Where's the outrage? WE SHOULD BAN GASOLINE!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Quote "WE SHOULD BAN GASOLINE!"

Careful, there are folks who want to do exactly that!!

I like ICE!!

And I LOVE the smell of avgas!! :) :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ah yes, racing gas smells sweet ... my first boss 351 motor in my mustang ran 13:1 compression with a solid cam and 850 double pumper ... i used to run 104 octane and you could smell it ... intoxicating!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like major inherent design trouble with the Prius electrical ‘inverters’ going back to 2010 according to today’s LA Times (burnt up units, random stalls, limp home mode etc):

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-fi-prius-overheat-inverter-defect-20190414-story.html

Any such issues with the 2nd gen Insights of this nature? So far so good with my 2011, but I’m wondering about other high milers?
2011 Honda Insight 130.000 miles.

Never had an electric problem besides a minor door lock failure.

Had to recharge Freon, whatever, this year as AC was losing its mojo.

Besides that not a problem with the car. Put on fron struts and rear shocks. Riding like new, looking forward to at least 175,000.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Insightfull2011
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing