Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving yesterday, like ya do, and i looked up ahead of me and i saw a prius. it was to the left of me pulling out of some place, i can't remember where i was. so it was behind me and i kept it in my sights and i noticed it turned, without using its signal i might add, so i turned around and followed it into wendys where it made the turn. so i pulled up to the driver and said 'so you have a hybrid, how's that working out?' and she was like 'its great, i love it.' so the the obligatory 'how many miles to the gallon are you getting?' question was asked and she said she was getting 39 and she asked me and i said i was getting 58, she seemed to be a little more impressed with my car at that time. i drove off snickering. :lol:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me on Thursday, except the Prius driver just ignored me. Probably thought I was some sort of a crazy-person and I speeded up to get beside his car at about twice the limit, then paced him for a few blocks. Didn't even acknowledge me. First other hybrid I have seen in a month.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see a lot of Prius cars here (S. Bay Area, California). Don't see a lot of Insights or HCHs. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pruis notes

I live in The San Gabriel Valley a Los Angels Suburb, yeah the Pruis gets great reviews, so does the Cvic Hybrid. But my dad gets 40MPG on the freeway in his 98 Civic HB.

I don't see much of a point in buying a Hybrid that gets less than 55MPG after all how often do you need the third or forth seat. I'll borrow my girlfriends Xterra if i need the extra space, or my mom's Altima, But its nearly never. I don't mind following a group in my car. After all i get better than twice the gas milage of nearly all non hybrid cars out there.

What other car can take you from Los Angels to Vegas and back on 10 gallons of gas! I didn't even have to fell up for a few days after the trip :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love seeing those hybrids

I am so glad to be finally one of those hybrid drivers!!!!
My dad has a 2002 Prius. And when I got my Insight and I told him how many mpg I was getting there was a long silence (I could tell he was jealous).

Then, on my drive at the Outer Banks, I saw a Prius owner who rolled down his window and gave me a thumbs up and asked how many mpg I got. When I told him he said, "Oh, wow, I only get 40!" Here I was bummed I couldn't afford a Prius. Now, I'm liking my Insight more and more. Who needs 4 seats anyway?

By the way, on my drive across NC, I saw a couple other Insights around the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area. Could be some of you folk on this forum, eh! If it was, I was the lil blue one. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cool, The way I see it the Prius and Cvic Hybrids are more practical to any family man/woman. If its just you and your commute to work 90 % of the time the Insight can't be beat.

I kinda feel sorry for those Prius owners that get the low 40s gas mileage, that car was designed more for city commutes that the Highway commutes most of us use or cars for. Somthing tells me they drive with a lead foot. I get depressed if i only average 68mpg for an entire tank.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Prius

To be fair to the Prius I believe if the owners where as car savy as we Insight owners the Prius would record higher MPG figures.Of course they will never be as high as the Insight because of the major differences in design and configuration. There's no substitute for lite-weight when trying to ge the most MPG out of any design and that naturally dictates minimal seating which leads to a compact profile.
So no matter how wonderful the Prius is (and I like it) there is no comparison with the Insight, so why even bother?

Dgate

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
amplifiedmouse said:
she said she was getting 39 and she asked me and i said i was getting 58
No big secret Insight's get better gas mileage. Lighter Aluminum vers heavy Steel body. Most Prius drivers though do get better than 39mpg. She just doesn't know how to drive it yet.

Everyone knows if you want the best gas mileage get the Insight. But if you want more room get the Prius.

The amazing thing is the new Prius is bigger than the Hybrid Civic yet equals it in gas mileage. Now you have to admit that is something.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As the owner of both a 2004 Prius and currently a 2001 CVT Insight I must say that for a long trip with the familly the Prius is great. We just took a trip to Los Angles area and put about 500 miles on it and still managed an average of 54mpg.
As far as mileage we are currently getting average of 49-54 on the Prius compared to the 54-58 I get on the dahmm CVT Insight, god I miss My 2000 5spd Insight. So if driven correctly you can get decent mileage on the larger car. Of course I do use a whole bunch of the tricks I learned from owning My Insight for 4 years. One major difference I really am fascinated about is the way it will run on just electricthe other day I managed to drive allmost 1/2 mile without gas engine even starting.
One last ramble here is I can't wait for 2 more years to lapse so I can trade in this dahmmed CVT Insight (yes if you havnt figured it out yet I hate this one) on I hope an improved insight or its 2 seater replacement.
I have even had nightmares of attempting to transplant a Prius drive train into an Insight just for fun and giggles. The lightness of the Insight and the power of Prius would be a wonderfull marrage of best of both worlds.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Resist said:
...The amazing thing is the new Prius is bigger than the Hybrid Civic yet equals it in gas mileage...
I think the hybrid Civic will catch up when they offer a 4-cylinder/2-cylinder engine like the Insight 2 might have.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It seems that the majority of hybrid drivers in my area try to ignore the other hybrids as much as possible. I saw a red Insight yesterday, waved, got nothing back. Same day say 2 Prii without a second glance. Followed and pulled up next to a Prius today with no notice at all.

On the other hand...

I get more nods and waves from SUV's and people asking about it where I park.

I'm gonna have to print up some more infosheets at this rate, I may even put it in a business card.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah the 5 speed transmission is what i drive, i wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
804 Posts
ext1jdh said:
It seems that the majority of hybrid drivers in my area try to ignore the other hybrids as much as possible.
A couple of times upon meeting another Insight driver, they seemed to go out of my way ignoring me like I was a pervert. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Too bad, they really need to get with the program. I guess they are not members of this forum cause I've met 5 other Canadian Insight owners and they're great folk! I'm still getting lots of questions from non hybrid owners too. The Insight has been around for 4 years and folks still are surprised by what this car will do. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts