Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the beep beep horn to a dual used F-150 horn.
The problem is that it sounds different than when I connect the horn directly to the battery. It sounds muffled like only the low horn makes noise and not the high horn. Do I have to change the relay to a bigger one? is it the fuse. I am thinking not enough amperage is going to the horn, I think.
Can any of yous help? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
Unusual project.

My guess is that something in the circuit is undersize for the truck horn. If the horn works on a battery but not in the car, then that almost has to be the answer. Could be the relay, or the steering wheel cable reel, or wiring. It is a fairly simple circuit in which the horn button grounds the horn relay winding. The horn fuse is only 10 amps.

You could always wire it separately with a big ole horn button somewhere on the dash;)

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
As a matter of fact they do share the same 10amp fuse in the block under the hood, #6.

If your tail lights are not working, try the horn, if it doesn't work, check fuse#6.

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
Damn. So what happens if i swap it for a 20 amp, will i burn the cables or the lights?
Thanks man.
Well the tail lights wouldn't get harmed, but you might damage some of the wiring in the horn circuit. Measure the horn current on the truck horn. That would be a clue. Six amps to 20A is a very big jump. I'd try something smaller.

I don't know how hefty the cable reel is in the steering hub. Wire sizes can be measured. Maybe Scott could furnish advice on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After looking on different sites, it seems that the relay for the horn is a 12v 20amp relay. Why would they put a 10amp fuse? maybe cause the OEM horn is weak? or are the brake lights LEDs? I have to dust out the ol' voltmeter and do some poking, damns.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Alternately, put a 12v relay at the stock horn hookup and power that from a nice fat wire straight from the positive battery terminal.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I took an AAA driving course just because I wanted to and they said your best defense is to steer vs braking or honking. Dont want to cross load the tires doing both and honking is hit or miss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts