Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a problem starting the engine at temp below minus 15 C, i got a brand new battery and this as not changed.

When i turn the key, all is happening is a tik tik tik, luckely it will eventually turn over the starter after the 3rd try.

Anyone here as experienced this ?
What could be going wrong ???

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When I had that problem replacing the 4 year old 12V battery solved it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guillermo said:
When I had that problem replacing the 4 year old 12V battery solved it.
The battery is brand new, i put a new one thinking that the aging 5 year old was bad.
The car starts fine when temp above -15C, but below that, when the starter need to turn the engines, that is where the problem occurs.
I have'nt check the ground wires yet but will, same with the wires going to the starter.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Try another 12 V battery, maybe it's new but not fully charged.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Emergency :?:

IMA batteries not "happy" is a more complete reply.

Too hot, cold or too low an SoC.

Since Normand is in Canada I'd suspect its the cold. Which _also_ slows any batteries chemistry effectively causing less electric "output". A weak or low 12v SoC will make it unable to crank the engine in cold conditions.

But by Normand's symptoms and "repair" thus far I'd bet on the ground connections. JackMPG's got a tutorial with pic's on his website. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Normand, have your starter check out it could be drawing too many amps. By the way do you park your insight in Outremont in the day, there is one same color as yours near by.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
First check is the ground wires. Like many car companies these days, Honda designed this parts to fail. They are bare braided copper lines, crimped onto steel lugs in direct contact wtih aluminium. No dielectric grease is used. Can you say "corrosion"? Even if they look good, replace them. Replacement straps are avaiable at most auto parts stores. Get a tube of dielectric grease while you are there and apply liberally to all exposed areas of the metal lugs on the cable and the area it bolts to on the body.

If that doesn't do it, then the 12V battery is the problem.

The Insight defaults to the 12V starter in very cold weather. But since this does not occur very often, it becomes problematic due to neglect of the starting system.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved, broken ground wire.
Thanks guy's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts