Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this is the same thing as the "Sticky" under "Problems and Troubleshooting". I recieved a letter from Honda today, dated July 2007, which states that the ECM can misinterpret readings from various sensors, which may cause the check engine light to stay on. I should go to the dealer to have the software updated. The letter also states that, "If you paid to have your vehicle's catalytic converter(s) replaced sometime in the past, you may be eligible for reimbursement." I did have mine replaced. It looks like all I need to do is send in the repair receipt invoice and proof of payment and they will reimburse me. That's like $1200 :shock: :D. So is this the same as the "Sticky", or is this something different?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just received my letter today too.

Has anyone had this mod done?

Any 'bad' ramifications from it?

How do they update the ECM software?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Product Update from Honda in Torrence, CA

I too received a notice from Honda in Torrence, CA regarding replacement service. I am very hesitant to go to my local Honda dealer who sees very few Insights and have this work done when my vehicle is running well and exceeding all of my performance expectations. It would be good to hear from someone who has had this notice work performed and find out their outcomes. The notice didn't come certified, so I suppose I could sit on it for awhile and see if I encounter the problems the replacement module is supposed to correct. Unsure what is the best route to take here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had some update done earlier in the year or late last year, i forget. But my check engine light used to come on. My husband, luckily, at the time was working as a mechanic for Acura and plugged the car into the Honda computer.

I would not be too concerned about the update. It was very simple. They do not touch anything in the car, except they start the car at least once. The computer plugs in right under the steering collumn if i was paying attention correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Product Update: Check Engine Light Stays On

I just got this letter November 30th 2007. I'm going to bring the car in next week. My check engine light is pretty much always on. Anyone else have more knowledge of this update?

·
Registered
3 Posts
product update: engine light stays on

I received the same product update card last week and had my local Honda dealer replace the ECM immediately. All is well, no after-problems, so I wouldn't worry about having the job done.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I just got back from the Honda dealer. They did the ECM update on my 2000 Insight at 149k miles. As I mentioned in another thread I have been getting some intermittent PO420 codes, so hopefully this will cure that.

When I dropped the car off I left the MIMA joystick connected and they didn't even ask any questions about it until after the service was done. One of service managers just asked me what it did, and I told him to jog the stick forward. His eyes lit up and asked me what all the other buttons were for. All in all he was impressed that someone had taken the time to design a professional system for the Insight.

The person who did the service must have played with it too as he put 10 miles on the car, and the soc was at 4 / 20 bars. When I dropped off the car it was almost full. Nothing but kudos for the local dealership.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Product Update Check Engine Light

Just had my ECM replaced. THey had to order the part and had my car for a day. No problems and now my check engine light (which was on for the last 20,000 miles) is off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just got my notification-question

Dumb question maybe, but my check engine light is not on. It HAD been on, brought it in and they replaced 02 sensor thingy a couple months ago. So, do I still bring it in for this ECM recall if the light is not on? I'm sure the answer is Yes, but just thought I'd check.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
Just got the recall letter on the ECM replacement. It basically states:
What is the problem?
"Your vehicles main computer control module (the ECM) can misinterpret readings from various sensors. If this happens, the check engine light on the instrument panel may stay on."

It makes no mention of the cat damage, but they also send me a form for
"Reimbursement: Catalystic Converter(s) if they have been done."

I had the ECM replaced in 2004 per the requirement of DMV. (Cal. only)
Will find out tomorrow in the PM.
No check engine light.

Willie :p

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Got the letter as well for my '00 Insight. Called the dealer - they no nothing about it...."ummm - can we get back to you on that...."

So if you are ever in NE Ohio and need an Insight serviced...ummm - good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I got the same notice.
I think I will go in with all of my boost stuff and 5th wheel and see what they say. Should be interesting.
Does anyone know if this new ECM is the same part for all years. My 2000 ECM does not allow re flashing the ECM firmware but later years can. That may be a good thing to get done, as well as fix some of the potential CAT issues that Willie mentioned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had mine updated this morning and everything seems normal.

Somewhat unrelatedly, the day I got my postcard my Check Engine light came on, then the next day it turned off and a few hours later my IMA light came on. My dealer ran a diag when they swapped the ECU and now they are replacing the battery as well.

Looking forward to the fresh battery, I bought the car with 93k on the clock so I've never driven it with a new battery.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
I had the ECU replaced today without any problem. No questions asked, even with 216,140 miles on the odometer. In by 8AM out by 10AM.......Good service. Haven't been able to see if it drives different because of the reprogramming in the ECU..... I'll compare it on my trip to Ga./Fla. at the end of this month.
Cost...........$0.00.
Willie ;)

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I guess this is becoming a matter of interpretation, at least here in Cleveland. I brought my wife's Pilot in for routine maintenance this am, along with the letter to replace the ecm.

The dealer states that they will not replace it unless the engine check light is on. It was on with P1146 a week ago and I reset it.

Has any one else had Honda refuse to do the work??

thanks
Wayne :?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Waynetc said:
I guess this is becoming a matter of interpretation, at least here in Cleveland. I brought my wife's Pilot in for routine maintenance this am, along with the letter to replace the ecm.

The dealer states that they will not replace it unless the engine check light is on. It was on with P1146 a week ago and I reset it.

Has any one else had Honda refuse to do the work??

thanks
Wayne :?
You might be on to something--see my other thread. I just had a service bulletin applied without the requisite "Check Engine" light.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
one of the guys was told by his dealer that the ECM update is specifically about the Cat code P0420 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold), no code, no ECM swap or re programing. The reprogramming changes the CAT efficiency threshold that will set a code. The sticky also indicates other codes?

FYI, it seems that the ECM on the 2000 and 2001 Insights cannot be re flashed, but the newer ECM's can be reprogrammed by the dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My check engine light has been on & off for the last month or so. i've got an appointment for Tuesday to get the update. I'll update with results.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I had the update done about a month due to intermittent PO420 codes. Since the update it hasn't had a single code. So far so good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update:

Even though I told the dealer exactly what I was bringing it in for, they never ordered the part. When I brought it in, showed the letter to the advisor & explained what was needed, he looks at my previous work orders and says "Oh we already replaced that part so you're fine".

I then had to RE-explain to him that this was a new issue, that they just remapped the ECMs, and that old ECMs were still out of spec, and that's why I'm getting p0420s.

He tells me one more time that they already replaced the ECM once. Finally right before I was about to ask for the supervisor he finds the TSB. As I expected, the part wasn't in stock and wasn't ordered. So now I have an appointment for saturday to get the new ECM installed.

Experiences like this make me sad, because if I was not a VERY well informed consumer I probably would have walked out thinking everything was fine. Or even said "ok, then I need to know why my check engine light keeps coming on" and gotten soaked for diagnostics & unnecessary parts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts